The Ballet: The Nutcracker, Coliseum, London
Sunday 15 December 2013
What is it? The English National Ballet dance this festive favourite, with choreography from Wayne Eagling.
The Independent says: “[ENB] dance The Nutcracker with energy and understanding, brightening up Wayne Eagling’s uneven production. From Micaela Infante’s child Clara to Daria Klimentová’s grown-up ballerina, the dancing brings real fizz … [but the] staging has muddled storytelling, with some bizarre divertissement dances and a confusing switch in the hero’s identity.”
They say: The Arts Desk: “This production … has come in for some stick in the three years since its premiere. Wayne Eagling, the company’s then director, produced the choreography in rather too much of a hurry … no amount of polishing can fix structural flaws, and this ballet has a fatal one in the shape of its frankly bizarre story treatment … despite the bad hand dealt them, [ENB’s dancers] are really shining.”
You say: @robynm93: “The Nutcracker was AMAZING!! Vadim Muntagirov and Daria Klimentova were incredible!!”
@Lisekit: “ENB’s Nutcracker not without issues, particularly in Act 2. Which is supposed to be the good bit! Sort it out, Eagling.”
Details: to 5 Jan, eno.org.
Broadcaster unveils Christmas scheduleTV
Jeff Fletcher found fame in 1990s
'At times I thought he was me'film
Review: One Direction, Fourmusic
Review: The World of Ice and Firebooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Bill Cosby: Isn’t it obvious why his accusers have stayed silent up until now?
- 4 Halle Berry takes ex-boyfriend Gabriel Aubry to court for allegedly trying to make daughter look less African-American
- 5 Isis propaganda image showing 'abuse of Muslim woman by soldiers' is actually taken from Hungarian porn film
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict