Tricks Of The Trade: 12: How To Do The Weather
Sian Lloyd ITV's national weather presenter since 1990. She has also presented 'How 2' (ITV)
Sunday 07 December 1997
Before going on, I make sure I've seen all the graphics that are coming up on the charts. I often draw a rough skeleton of what I'm going to say and try to time myself. The weather is strictly timed and I can hear counting in a little microphone in my ear while presenting. I'm on for two minutes; I'll get a minute's warning, then 30 seconds, then10, and I have to come out at zero when the summary comes up.
In describing the weather I think every presenter has their cliches, though mine have changed regarding certain weather conditions over the years. I used to talk about rain with distaste, but now with drought conditions in this country I am much more enthusiastic about it. In sunny weather I'm much more likely to say "Slap on the sunscreen" than "Get out there and soak up the heat."
Listen to his collaboration with Naughty Boymusic
Film review Michael Glatze biopic isn't about a self-hating gay man gone straight
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Britain First 'acting like Ukip henchmen' by invading meeting of activists in revenge for pub protest against Nigel Farage
- 2 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 3 Tidal: Jay Z's Spotify rival streaming service criticised for making wealthy artists even richer
- 4 Brixton squat flats now costing up to £3k per month show how out of control rent is in London
- 5 A new (old) cure for MRSA? Revolting recipe from the Dark Ages may be key to defeat infection
Zayn Malik releases first solo song 'I Won't Mind' in 'Zaughty' collaboration with Naughty Boy
Tidal launch: The most pretentious lines from Alicia Keys' valedictory speech
Poldark review: Demelza’s insouciance is almost as impressive as Ross’ pecs
Tidal: Jay Z's Spotify rival streaming service criticised for making wealthy artists even richer
James May hints he will not continue on Top Gear without Jeremy Clarkson
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans