Live from BBC Television Centre: one last quiz
How much do you know about the soon-to-be-closed TV landmark?
Monday 18 March 2013
1 The odd shape of TVC was based on which typographical character, scrawled on an envelope by architect Graham Dawbarn?
2 The statue of Greek sun god Helios in TVC’s courtyard is said to represent what?
3 Eileen Atkins was the co-creator of which drama series, the last to be filmed at TVC, in 1994?
4 A 1967 serial, starring Susan Hampshire, of which classic novel was the first drama to be filmed in colour at TVC?
5 Actor Brian Blessed claims that BBC executive Huw Wheldon encouraged him to climb up what and attach a condom to it?
6 What happened when the fountain in the courtyard was turned on for a 1961 visit of the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh?
7 Former footballer Les Ferdinand admitted in 2000 to being an “accessory” to the infamous vandalism of the Blue Peter garden in 1983, but what was his role?
1. Question mark
2. The radiation of television light around the world
3. The House of Eliott
4. Vanity Fair
5. The Helios sculpture
6. It flooded the tape recording department in the basement
7. Ferdinand admitted to “helping a few people over the wall”
sportLiverpool 5 Norwich City 1: Uruguayan striker has now scored 11 league goals against the club
arts + entsOlivier-nominated actor and singer is set to star in Lloyd Webber's musical about the Profumo affair
filmWith more than 70 per cent of early films lost, archivists are scouring the world to preserve the precious examples that remain
sportThe coach of Chalfont St Peter's under-10s football team was relieved of his duties after he sent an email to parents that said: 'I am only interested in winning'
techA piece of new hi-tech kit aims to get us scribbling again
indybestMake getting out of the wrong side of bed on cold winter mornings a thing of the past with our selection of night-time covers
life + styleClarissa Baldwin is the brains behind the slogan 'A Dog is for Life not just for Christmas'
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 The hardwired difference between male and female brains could explain why men are 'better at map reading'
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 UK chef creates world's most expensive ready meal - a fish pie costing £314
- 4 Food poverty in UK has reached level of 'public health emergency', warn experts
- 5 I’m sure Kate Moss doesn't care about posing for Playboy. But I do