Israel sends Dana International back to Eurovision
Wednesday 09 March 2011
Flamboyant transsexual Israeli pop diva Dana International, who won the Eurovision in 1998, will once again represent her homeland at the European song contest - only this time with a "Ding Dong."
At least, that's the name of the song she will perform at the contest which will be held in Germany later this year.
The singer, who brought Israel its last victory in the contest with the song "Diva" in 1998, was selected by viewers after a televised competition held on Tuesday.
The 39-year-old entertainer, who was born Yaron Cohen, said she was elated to be going back to Eurovison with "Ding Dong" - a catchy pop number with lyrics in both Hebrew and English.
"I'm crazy about this country," she told the top-selling Yediot Aharonot newspaper after the results were announced.
"I love everyone and I'm really happy to have been given another opportunity to bring the Eurovison back to Israel."
Her last win was hailed in Israel as a victory for those who promote a liberal, tolerant agenda and who often clash with the more conservative, religious elements.
Israel has won the Eurovision song contest two other times - in 1978 and 1979.
tvSteven Moffat reveals the actor was dying to take on the role of the Time Lord and says he is excited to see what he will do with the character
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
X Factor winners: Where are they now?
Dancing on Ice 2014 line-up revealed
Ben Whishaw to play Freddie Mercury in Dexter Fletcher film
Doctor Who writer Steven Moffat: Peter Capaldi is worlds away from Malcolm Tucker
- 1 Nelson Mandela memorial sign language interpreter was a 'fake'
- 2 It’s shameful that our universities have accepted gender segregation under pressure from the most oppressive religious fanatics
- 3 Sir Ian McKellen hits back at Damian Lewis' 'fruity actor' claims
- 4 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 5 Selfie at funeral: Cameron squeezes in on Obama snap at Mandela memorial
- < Previous
- Next >