New season greets US TV viewers with gangsters, zombies and assassins
Wednesday 22 September 2010
The fall television season launches this week in the US with new episodes of popular shows, such as the award-winning
House, M.D., as well as the debut of new series.
Some of the new shows include:
- Twitter spin-off Bleep My Dad Says starring William Shatner ( Star Trek, Boston Legal)
- Michael Chiklis ( The Shield) in a sci-fi drama about a family of superheroes, No Ordinary Family
- Novelist Stephen King's drama Sons of Anarchy starring Ron Perlman ( Hellboy)
- Nikita combines the La Femme Nikita (a 1990 movie 1997 TV series) and TV show 90210, with Maggie Q as a young spy assassin
- Hawaii Five-0, a redo of the 1960s cop show, with Scott Caan and Lost's Daniel Dae Kim
The television adaptation of the zombie story, The Walking Dead, premiering Halloween night, October 31, is produced and written by Frank Darabont ( Shawshank Redemption, Green Mile).
HBO's Boardwalk Empire, executive produced by Martin Scorsese, follows a corrupt politician during the Prohibition era of 1920 in Atlantic City. Stars Steve Buscemi ( The Sopranos) and Michael Sheen ( Revolutionary Road).
Already, Boardwalk Empire was renewed for a second season based on high ratings for its premiere. It will take a few weeks to determine which shows will be breakout hits for this season.
Meanwhile, among familiar shows, House, M.D. returns for its seventh season, Modern Family and Glee launch their sophomore seasons and J.J. Abrams's Fringe keeps up the mystery for a third year.
BBC Trust agrees to axe channel from TV in favour of digital moveTV
Final Top Gear reviewTV
FestivalsFive ways to avoid the portable toilets
Jurassic WorldThe results are completely brilliant
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 iPhone 7 (or iPhone 6S) leaked pictures show similarities to older model — but Apple is fixing the biggest issue of all
- 2 David Cameron refers to 83-year-old Labour MP Dennis Skinner as 'Jurassic Park'
- 3 Alton Towers Air breaks down: 80 people stuck on broken down Monorail during heatwave
- 4 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 5 German ethics council calls for incest between siblings to be legalised by Government
Game of Thrones season 6: Daenerys actress Emilia Clarke says '50/50 chance' Jon Snow is alive
Jessie Cave interview: Harry Potter's Lavender Brown has published a collection of feminist cartoons
Amy, film review: Beautiful film reveals ugly truth behind singer's downward spiral
'Dukes of Hazzard' pulled from screens by CBS as outcry over Confederate flag grows
London Has Fallen trailer release branded 'extremely insensitive' ahead of 10th anniversary of 7/7 bombings
The moment a Queen's Guard soldier lost it and drew his gun at annoying tourist
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert