Brian Conley released from hospital after I'm A Celebrity... exit for 'medical reasons'
Wednesday 21 November 2012
Funnyman Brian Conley has been released from hospital and is "recuperating" with his family after being taken ill during filming of I'm A Celebrity ... Get Me Out Of Here!.
The entertainer had to leave the show - filmed in the Australian jungle - earlier this week for what ITV said were "medical reasons".
No further details about his illness have been issued, but he was later taken to hospital.
His agent issued a statement today which said: "We can confirm Brian Conley has been discharged from hospital and is delighted to be back with his family recuperating."
"He would like to thank everyone for their kind wishes and concern."
A spokesman for the 51-year-old star said his medical problems had now been "resolved".
Conley entered the jungle more than a week ago along with contestants such as Tory MP Nadine Dorries and ex-Coronation Street actress Helen Flanagan.
But after a series of bungled tasks, the audience of the show - which has numbered some ten million people - has seen some of the contestants becoming increasingly hungry. Flanagan was repeatedly chosen to fulfil the "bushtucker trials" but continually failed to win enough meals to feed all the contestants.
Viewers had seen the comic break down in tears during the show, following a confrontation with boxer David Haye.
Conley's health problem during the show will raise questions about the "duty of care" from broadcasters towards the participants on popular TV shows.
Last year comedian Freddie Starr had to be removed from the I'm A Celebrity camp and withdrew from the show after just three days when he suffered what was thought to be an allergic reaction.
Starr had taken part in the programme at the age of 68 and just a year after suffering a heart attack. His ill health followed his participation in one of the programme's notorious eating challenges, and he was taken to a cardiac unit to be monitored.
An ITV spokesman said: "The safety and welfare of our contestants is of paramount importance.
"All contestants are assessed by independent medical experts before contracts are signed, and again before entering the jungle.
"We also have contact where necessary with the celebrities' GPs. Medical personnel are also available 24 hours a day in Australia to provide support if needed."
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 3 Amal Clooney gives excellent answer to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 4 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 5 Isis publicly behead man in Syrian town square for 'insulting Allah' as he screams for help
Heavy metal producer's corpse to be mutilated by models as per his dying wish
The Jump 2015 line-up: Joey Essex, Phil Tufnell, Heather Mills and co take to the slopes
Game of Thrones season 5: Grey Worm actor Jacob Anderson is all for more male nudity – as long as it’s not him
Grumpy Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' rediscovered after 35 years
Sia apologises for 'Elastic Heart' music video that sees Shia LaBeouf wrestle 12-year-old Maddie Ziegler
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures