Britney gets mean, but American 'X Factor' debut still sinks
Friday 14 September 2012
Britney Spears showed off her mean streak as the new talent judge on "The X Factor," but the TV singing contest stumbled with American viewers, drawing a smaller audience than last year and getting drowned out by "The Voice" and "America's Got Talent."
In a first head-to-head battle of three talent shows, an average 8.5 million Americans - about 3.5 million or 32 percent down from the 2011 opener - watched Spears and singer Demi Lovato make their debuts in the heavily-hyped two-hour season premiere of Fox show "The X Factor" on Wednesday.
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 As an ex prostitute, I urge all the political parties to commit to the Sex Buyer Law
- 2 Nokia no more: Microsoft drops once-ubiquitous mobile name – in favour of its Lumia brand
- 3 Renee Zellweger on plastic surgery: 'I'm living a fulfilling life and I'm thrilled that perhaps it shows'
- 4 Australian café owner sparks debate after saying 'No' to having unruly children on premises
- 5 Couple die within 28 hours of each other after being married for 73 years
Goodfellas star Frank Sivero sues for $250m over Simpsons character
American Horror Story season 4, Fox - TV review: Silly, sensational and sensitive
Breaking Bad season 6 hoax: Vince Gilligan has not confirmed a new series
MOBO awards 2014: Sam Smith sweeps the board with four gongs
The Apprentice, episode 3 - review: Lord Sugar hacks away at the deadwood with another double elimination