Carnage of the X Factor hopefuls
The X Factor became the axe factor when 60 contestants were dumped from the show's boot camp section before they had the chance to sing.
Around 200 would-be stars had travelled to Liverpool in an attempt to make it through to the judges' houses round.
But they were gathered on stage at the city's Echo Arena last night and almost a third were sent straight home.
A show source told the Sun: "It was carnage. They were told there would be an important announcement. They went out on stage to face Tulisa, Louis, Gary and Nicole - and then the bombshell. There were looks of shock on people's faces. Even the judges looked upset."
It is believed show supremo Simon Cowell ordered the move amid fears that too many average acts had been put through.
An X Factor spokesman said: "Some of the contestants who got a yes at their first auditions, when seen side by side against the others, were not of a good enough standard."
Arts & Ents blogs
Even though there was a complete absence of our favourite odd couple Brienne and Jaime, we got anoth...
If you had any doubt where Binky gets her brilliantly brassy disregard for social graces, episode se...
Kate Simko is a lady who has constantly worked towards to pushing herself musically. Though she make...
- 1 Austerity has hardened the nation's heart
- 2 Tottenham to smash pay scale with £150,000-a-week contract in attempt to tie Gareth Bale to club
- 3 Strewth mate. Aussies wave goodbye to Britain as it becomes too pricey to stay
- 4 Be more professional! GCHQ staff rapped as WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange reveals messages that he says point to 'fit up'
- 5 Join Ryanair! See the world! But we'll only pay you for nine months a year
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.