Coronation Street star Geoffrey Hughes dies aged 68
Coronation Street and Keeping Up Appearances actor Geoffrey Hughes has died aged 68, his agent said.
The star, famed for his role as Coronation Street binman Eddie Yates, died last night "peacefully in his sleep" after a "long courageous battle" with prostate cancer, according to his family.
Hughes also played Twiggy in TV comedy The Royle Family and Onslow in Keeping Up Appearances.
Arts & Ents blogs
Even though there was a complete absence of our favourite odd couple Brienne and Jaime, we got anoth...
If you had any doubt where Binky gets her brilliantly brassy disregard for social graces, episode se...
Kate Simko is a lady who has constantly worked towards to pushing herself musically. Though she make...
- 1 Tottenham to smash pay scale with £150,000-a-week contract in attempt to tie Gareth Bale to club
- 2 Austerity has hardened the nation's heart
- 3 Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
- 4 Be more professional! GCHQ staff rapped as WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange reveals messages that he says point to 'fit up'
- 5 Top A&E doctors warn: 'We cannot guarantee safe care for patients anymore'
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.