Coronation Street star Geoffrey Hughes dies aged 68
Coronation Street and Keeping Up Appearances actor Geoffrey Hughes has died aged 68, his agent said.
The star, famed for his role as Coronation Street binman Eddie Yates, died last night "peacefully in his sleep" after a "long courageous battle" with prostate cancer, according to his family.
Hughes also played Twiggy in TV comedy The Royle Family and Onslow in Keeping Up Appearances.
Arts & Ents blogs
What a wonderful way to end this momentous series in the 50th year of Doctor Who. From the start of ...
Let's talk book blurbs, those quotes you get, usually from other writers, that are meant to entice y...
Fela Kuti, Jewish food and The Great Gatsby are just some of the reasons why the rainy weather ahead...
- 1 Heading for America? Prepare for the longest US immigration queues ever
- 2 Boxing: Carl Froch slams fellow Brits for sparring with Mikkel Kessler
- 3 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 4 David Cameron goes to war with press over 'swivel-eyed loons' slur
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.