Coronation Street's Sunita to die in Rovers Return blaze
Tuesday 29 January 2013
Coronation Street's famous Rovers Return is set to go up in flames in a blaze which kills soap favourite Sunita Alahan.
The pub, which has been a fixture in the show since its launch in the 1960s, is reduced to a shell in the dramatic spring storyline.
Street residents risk their lives trying to save people trapped in the Rovers during Sunita's explosive exit.
Despite becoming a victim of the inferno, the locals believe that former Rovers barmaid Sunita, played by Shobna Gulati, started the blaze.
They point the finger after her lover, gambler and lothario Karl Munro (John Michie), goes back to landlady Stella Price (Michelle Collins).
A soap spokeswoman refused to comment on reports about the storyline, to be produced by outgoing Street boss Phil Collinson.
But a source said: "It's going to be a very dramatic spring on Corrie. The Rovers Return will be reduced to a shell."
Gulati recently announced she was quitting the ITV soap after eight years playing Sunita, to focus on writing comedy.
The actress joined Coronation Street as shop assistant Sunita in 2001. She took a break from the show in 2005 but returned in 2008.
Glastonbury Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend will perform with Paul Weller as their warm-up act
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Katie Hopkins gives rare glimpse of sensitive side with heartfelt open letter to her children penned in case she dies from epilepsy
- 2 Rihanna's Met Gala dress took one Chinese woman 2 years to make, was reduced to omelette meme in 2 seconds
- 3 Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to replace Jeremy Clarkson and co
- 4 #JeSuisEd: People share photos of themselves eating awkwardly in solidarity with Labour leader
- 5 Women think Irish men are the sexiest, survey finds
In defence of liberal democracy
General Election 2015: Post-election 'shambles' looms as 70 per cent of voters say SNP 'should not be able to veto UK government policies'
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
General election live: SNP suspends two members for disrupting Labour rally
General Election 2015: Sturgeon claims Scots 'appalled' by Ed Miliband's refusal to work with SNP