Doctor Who banned from playing football
Doctor Who star Matt Smith has revealed that his TV bosses have put the boot in - by banning him from playing football.
The actor, 29, said that he was not allowed to join other cast and crew in a football kick-around during the filming of the hit BBC One sci-fi show.
"I'd love to play football now. Everyone at work plays on Tuesdays, but they won't let me," he told the Radio Times.
"I guess it's the insurance companies and, realistically, if I turn my ankle over and we can't shoot, then we're screwed, aren't we? You just can't. It's a small price to pay."
The actor also revealed that he was suffering physically while filming Bert & Dickie, in which he plays British rower Bert Bushnell in 1948, London's last Games.
Smith spent six weeks being taught the basics of boatmanship by members of the Leander rowing club in Henley-on-Thames for the BBC One drama.
Smith told the magazine: "I've got blisters on the hand, cuts and bruises everywhere. Calluses.
"Your bum is the worst thing because those old wooden seats are pretty grim ... I loved it, although it's taken its toll physically."
He said of playing a sportsman: "There are so many parallels between that world and the world that I inhabit.
"There's practice, for one thing, and that sense of discipline and preparation. ... But it's also about sacrifice. To be a top sportsman you have to really make a sacrifice about the way you lead your life. And that's sort of true of acting as well.
"If you want to give it a good go, you've got to make some sacrifices and be as dedicated as you can be. Particularly with Doctor Who. It's two or three hours of line-learning a night."
Arts & Ents blogs
Thirteen-year-old Conor awakes in bed one night to discover that the yew tree outside his house has ...
It’s hard not to feel sorry for doe-eyed Andy. He spends months pining after Louise, has huge nostr...
Fragility of life looms large over an episode that closes with the scarring on Julie's stomach. Whil...
- 1 Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
- 2 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 3 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 4 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 5 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t