In pictures: Child stars all grown-up
Thursday 12 April 2012
When Anna Chlumsky hit the red carpet yesterday to promote her new HBO television series Veep, you'd have been forgiven for sighing sadly and shouting "Vada!" at her. Like many child stars who have gone on to relative obscurity, not ended up hooked on drugs or managed to carve out a successful career away from the cameras, she will remain fixed as the dorky kid Macuaulay Culkin's Thomas J was in love with in the heartbreaking 1991 movie, My Girl.
We know about the Britneys and the Lohans who made it big as children and managed to stay in the limelight post-puberty, but what happened to the others? Where are little Charlie Bucket or Kevin McCallister?
Here independent.co.uk rounds up child stars who are all grown-up:
TV reviewGrace Dent: Jimmy McGovern's new drama sheds light on sex slavery in the colonies
Eurovision 2015Australian Idol winner unveiled as representative Down Under
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Tourist films plane's descent just metres above packed Caribbean beach
- 2 Kate Moss: Previously unpublished nude photo revealed by Mert and Marcus
- 3 Indian woman creates 'Marriage CV' after parents put her on dating site: 'Definitely not marriage material. Won’t grow long hair, ever'
- 4 World Book Day: Boy 'excluded' from school after dressing up as Fifty Shades' Christian Grey
- 5 Bad Jews poster 'censored' on London Tube
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
Durham Free School: 'Creationism taught at' free school facing closure
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
Elif Shafak: Turkish author warns against rise of British nationalism
Most people think legal tax avoidance is just as wrong as illegal tax evasion, poll suggests
Nigel Farage promises Ukip will not 'stigmatise' would-be migrants – and says he wants 'everyone to speak the same language'