Johnny Ball's Strictly partner fractures ankle
Friday 28 September 2012
Strictly Come Dancing star Aliona Vilani looks likely to miss the first live show next week after she fractured her ankle in training, leaving Johnny Ball without a partner.
Pro dancer Vilani, who won last year's competition with her celebrity partner Harry Judd from McFly, suffered a hairline fracture to a bone in her ankle during rehearsals yesterday.
She now faces up to a month of recovery following the accident which means her chances of appearing on the show on 5 October are in jeopardy. Producers are trying to find a stand-in for the early stage of the contest.
Injuries have been an ongoing risk for contestants in the series and last year Artem Chigvintsev had to miss several editions of the show when he suffered a spine fracture.
His partner Holly Valance had to temporarily team up with Brendan Cole.
A statement posted on the Strictly website said: "Initial prognosis suggests our plucky pro-dancer may be out of action for the next 2-4 weeks."
Show bosses are expected to issue an update on her condition after a further medical consultation today.
Arts & Ents blogs
The Photography Blog: ‘Control Order House’ by Edmund Clark – Photographing our response to terrorism
Recent events in Boston have served as a painful reminder of the threat posed by terrorism. In Contr...
I’ve not heard many bands that had quite the same kick as Pendulum did. Their unbelievable fusion of...
The episode begins with Finn (Cory Monteith) at college, partying and accidentally participating in ...
- 1 British business: We need to stay in the European Union - or risk losing up to £92bn a year
- 2 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 3 Sam Wallace: The second coming of Jose Mourinho at Chelsea will be a reunion that can only end in tears
- 4 Gay marriage: David Cameron takes on the 'wreckers' among Conservative MPs in key vote
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.