Kylie Minogue casts doubt over her future on BBC's The Voice
The pop singer said filming a further series of the BBC singing contest would clash with her forthcoming tour
Kylie Minogue has cast the future of The Voice in doubt, as questions loom over her continuation as a coach on the BBC singing contest.
The Australian pop singer told the Mirror that filming a possible fourth series of the talent show would clash with her upcoming Kiss Me Once tour.
The 45-year-old, who is on a £500,000 deal, told the newspaper: “I’m touring this year and the timings wouldn’t work. We started filming in November last year for the show and this year I’m on tour in September, October and November.
“Being on the show is a huge commitment. I have loved it although there have been parts which have been really difficult, too taxing and emotional. You can’t second guess yourself. You deal with a lot of decisions and emotions.”
Fellow judge Sir Tom Jones warned that Ms Minogue’s exit would cast the future of the show into jeopardy.
The Welsh singer told the Mirror that he thinks the BBC should do everything it can to keep the “Better the Devil You Know” songstress on board.
“The BBC should do whatever they can to keep Kylie,” he said.
“It works how it is right now. With the four of us, I think it’s a good combination. It’s working now, so why spoil it? Why change it?”
But the BBC said it is “too early to speculate” about Ms Minogue’s future on The Voice.
A spokeswoman said: “Kylie is a fantastic addition to the coaching line up. We are aware of Kylie's touring commitments and are looking to accommodate them, so that if the series is re-commissioned she could return to her coaching role.
“Discussions are still ongoing and it's too early to speculate as we've not finished this series yet.”
Ms Minogue’s exit would come as a blow to the broadcaster, who drafted her in to boost viewing figures. Her fellow judges are Sir Tom, US rapper will.i.am and Kaiser Chiefs lead singer Ricky Wilson.
Her debut appearance helped to attract 8.4 million viewers, 2 million more than in the previous year, when the line-up featured singer Jessie J and The Script frontman Danny O'Donoghue , alongside Sir Tom and will.i.am.
The first live show of the series was aired on Saturday night, with four of the 12 finalists being knocked out of the competition.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 2 Doctors remove 80 teeth from boy's jaw
- 3 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 4 Stoke-on-Trent becomes first British city to be classified as 'disaster resilient' by the United Nations
- 5 Sir Winston Churchill’s family begged him not to convert to Islam, letter reveals
Peter Lik: The self-proclaimed 'fine-art photographer' whose work sells for millions
Exodus: Gods and Kings banned in the UAE for 'religious mistakes'
Game of Thrones is most-pirated TV show of 2014
Doctor Who and the BBC 'promoting a gay agenda', viewers complain
Idris Elba responds to James Bond rumours on Twitter
Millions of Britons struggling to feed themselves and facing malnourishment
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Nigel Farage: Ukip leader named 'Briton of the year' by The Times
Immigrants make UK racist, says Ukip councillor Trevor Shonk