London commuters witness London Eye stunt as straitjacket daredevil Jonathan Goodwin dangles from blazing rope over River Thames
Tuesday 05 March 2013
Daredevil Jonathan Goodwin put his escapology skills to the test today as he risked a plunge into a chilly River Thames while dangling from a blazing rope.
He was suspended upside down from the London Eye as he wriggled free from a straitjacket while filming the stunt for his new TV series, The Incredible Mr Goodwin, which begins on the Watch channel on Thursday.
Crowds saw the danger man pull off his Houdini-like stunt 200ft (61m) above the water with apparently only seconds to spare before the flames worked through the rope.
The 32-year-old said: “Danger is a part of my profession and the adrenaline I get from each stunt I do drives me on to the next.
“Pushing the limits is exciting and I hope I have left the crowd with a memorable experience.”
He has travelled the world to put himself in extraordinary situations, a number of which will appear in his new five-part series.
They include climbing the exterior of tall buildings unaided, triggering a bear trap while remaining uninjured, and hanging on to the underside of a fast-moving vehicle as the road surface rushes by.
* The stunt was shot for the new show 'The Incredible Mr Goodwin' which begins on Watch at 9pm on Thursday.
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Mario Balotelli: Staff at arson-hit Manchester Dogs' Home convinced Liverpool striker is behind five-figure donation
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 4 The response to my Pizza Express review has been overwhelming, and taught me a lot about journalism
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
Game of Thrones star Maisie Williams cast in Channel 4 drama about cyber bullying
Jennifer Lopez and Iggy Azalea's 'Booty' music video is just a load of butts
Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
The Beatles biographer reveals exclusive original manuscripts of some of the best pop songs ever written
The Walking Dead season 5 synopsis: Spoilers and existential questions revealed
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Scottish independence: The Queen breaks silence on referendum debate – as think tank warns of £14bn black hole if Scotland votes Yes
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God