Matt Smith to quit Doctor Who at Christmas?
Friday 22 March 2013
Actor Matt Smith could leave his lead role in Doctor Who at Christmas, according to a report.
He is said to be making his exit in the festive special after first signing up to play the Time Lord in 2009.
The BBC said today that no decisions had been made and Smith was concentrating on the 50th anniversary special.
The actor recently hinted that he was committed to the role for this year but further appearances were still to be pinned down.
He told ITV's Jonathan Ross Show last week: "At the moment, it's 2013 and we will see what 2014 holds."
But he added: "I'm very happy doing it."
Smith - recently seen as the Doctor with a cameo role in a Call The Midwife sketch for Comic Relief - replaced David Tennant in the role. The character "regenerates" into a different body when a new actor takes over.
The Sun said today that the now traditional Christmas episode would be Smith's last outing. It echoed other reports of his departure in recent months.
However the BBC said today: "Sorry folks, but even we don't know what's going to happen at Christmas, it's not been written yet.
"But Matt loves the show and is about to start filming the unmissable 50th anniversary, and star in the brand new series on Easter Saturday."
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained star's white boyfriend Brian Lucas confirms LAPD internally investigating 'racist' detainment
- 2 Isis release 'Flames of War' video warning Obama of attacks troops could face in Iraq
- 3 Pakistani passenger power forces two politicians off plane
- 4 Say yes to 'no-poo': It's been three years since I stopped washing my hair
- 5 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time: 'That was the lowest I'd ever felt'
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter