Miranda Hart's comedy style inspired by Morecambe and Wise
Tuesday 19 March 2013
Actress Miranda Hart credits comedy double-act Morecambe and Wise for inspiring her looks to camera in her hit sitcom.
The actress, 40, appears to look and talk directly to viewers during her self-titled BBC show.
Hart has filmed a new BBC1 documentary on her "hero" Eric Morecambe, who rose to fame with comedy partner Ernie Wise.
The Radio Times quotes her as saying: "There's a brilliant aside he (Eric) does - he says to Ernie, 'It was obviously my imagination' - then turns to the audience and says, 'It wasn't'.
"That's where I got the inspiration for that camera thing - where I say 'Yes', cut to camera - 'No'.
"All my looks to camera in Miranda I got from him. I wanted to do a show that honoured his tradition."
The Call The Midwife actress said that the double act provided "a cocoon of joy" during her 20s, which got her "through many a dark hour".
Meanwhile, comedian Sean Hughes said that he felt "a chill down my spine" when he played at the Roses Theatre in Tewkesbury, which was the last place Morecambe performed.
"I really felt his presence," he said.
Victoria Wood said that the pair "would have found a way to succeed today even if it seems harder for working-class double acts to make it these days".
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 4 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget