Neighbours star Craig McLachlan lands BBC role as country detective in The Doctor Blake Mysteries
Friday 05 July 2013
Former Neighbours star Craig McLachlan is coming back to the BBC playing a country doctor detective.
The actor, who played Henry Ramsay in the long-running soap and had a minor pop career on the back of its success, takes the lead role in The Doctor Blake Mysteries which have already been a hit in his native Australia.
Sue Deeks, head of programme acquisition, said "We are delighted that the unconventional Doctor Blake will be providing traditional Aussie grit and humour as well as intriguing and intelligent mystery to BBC Daytime's successful drama line-up."
The 10-part series is set in 1959 and features McLachlan's character, Lucien Blake, as a crime-fighting medic haunted by his experiences in the Second World War.
McLachlan appeared on Dancing On Ice in 2011 where fellow Australian Jason Gardiner, one of the show's judges, said he looked like he was performing with a "soiled nappy".
Threat of 'catastrophic cascade of collisions' must be averted, warn scientists
Arts & Ents blogs
Dennis Hopper's lost sixties photo album found
What are the best first lines in fiction?
Russell Crowe's Noah banned in three Arab countries before worldwide premiere
Sharknado 2: Former WWE wrestler Kurt Angle to fight second wave of flying sharks
Call The Midwife: Jessica Raine leaves in series three finale
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Poor 'live like animals' says Boris's privately educated sister after going on 'poverty safari'
Exclusive: Impact of immigrants on British workers ‘negligible’
Vince Cable: Teachers 'know absolutely nothing' about the world of work
Ukraine crisis: Russia pledges to 'retaliate against sanctions' as Ukrainian president says Crimea vote will not be recognised
The quiet diplomat: Catherine Ashton - recognised and admired in all the world’s troubled countries, yet ridiculed at home
- 1 Australian man Rod Sommerville reacts to bite from deadly snake by reaching for cold beer
- 2 Pakistan vs Paul Smith: Sandal-wearers bemused by famed British designer's attempts to sell traditional Peshawari chappal-style shoes for the distinctly untraditional sum of £300
- 3 North Korea elections: Kim Jong-un wins 100% of the vote
- 4 Steve Irwin’s final words: Cameraman present at death opens up about deadly stingray attack for the first time
- 5 Sharknado 2: Former WWE wrestler Kurt Angle to fight second wave of flying sharks