So did ITV or BBC win the war of the talent shows? The jury's out...
Nick Clark is the arts correspondent of The Independent. He joined the newspaper in June 2007, initially reporting on the stock markets. He has covered beats including the City, and technology, media and telecoms and made the switch to arts in December 2011. He has also contributed articles to the sports section.
Monday 26 March 2012
The Voice and Britain's Got Talent (BGT) have both claimed victory in the ratings battle to be Saturday night's top TV talent show.
This weekend saw the debut of the BBC's new primetime show whose judges, include Jessie J, Tom Jones and will.i.am. It pulled in a peak audience of 9.8 million viewers, with an average of 8.4 million throughout. The BBC said the performance blew away the debuts of Strictly Come Dancing, BGT and The X Factor by almost 3 million. Yet it came up against the ITV behemoth BGT, whose judges include Simon Cowell and Alesha Dixon.
BGT won the battle for overall ratings as it attracted a peak audience of 12.2 million. The average was 9.9 million. The BBC claimed victory for the period that the two shows went head-to-head. In the 20 minutes after 8pm, The Voice averaged 8.9 million viewers, almost 2.5 million more than its rival on ITV.
ITV hit back saying that if it excluded the performance of its soap operas, BGT was the best-rated show of the year.
* A 29-year-old woman has been charged with aggravated burglary after allegedly breaking into the Simon Cowell's home. Leanne Zaloumis, of Catford, south-east London, was due to appear at West London Magistrates' Court today after allegedly forcing her way into the property in Holland Park, west London, at 10.30pm on Saturday. Cowell was reportedly at home.
After giving gay film R-rating despite no sex or violencefilm
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Miley Cyrus' homeless MTV VMAs date, Jesse Helt, is wanted by the police
- 3 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- 4 Homer Simpson has taken the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he has
- 5 Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Led Zeppelin's Whole Lotta Love voted Greatest Guitar Riff of all time
Doctor Who lesbian kiss sparks Ofcom complaints over 'weird lesbian-lizard perv trip'
Nicki Minaj suffers wardrobe malfunction during MTV VMAs performance with Ariana Grande and Jessie J
Homer Simpson has taken the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he has
Beyonce MTV VMAs feminist performance: Twitter reacts to singer's 'double standard'
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Jeremy Clarkson is a cultural tumour and needs to be removed, says comedian Frankie Boyle
Air strikes? Talk of God? Barack Obama is following the jihadists’ script after James Foley beheading
- < Previous
- Next >