So did ITV or BBC win the war of the talent shows? The jury's out...
Nick Clark is the arts correspondent of The Independent. He joined the newspaper in June 2007, initially reporting on the stock markets. He has covered beats including the City, and technology, media and telecoms and made the switch to arts in December 2011. He has also contributed articles to the sports section.
Monday 26 March 2012
The Voice and Britain's Got Talent (BGT) have both claimed victory in the ratings battle to be Saturday night's top TV talent show.
This weekend saw the debut of the BBC's new primetime show whose judges, include Jessie J, Tom Jones and will.i.am. It pulled in a peak audience of 9.8 million viewers, with an average of 8.4 million throughout. The BBC said the performance blew away the debuts of Strictly Come Dancing, BGT and The X Factor by almost 3 million. Yet it came up against the ITV behemoth BGT, whose judges include Simon Cowell and Alesha Dixon.
BGT won the battle for overall ratings as it attracted a peak audience of 12.2 million. The average was 9.9 million. The BBC claimed victory for the period that the two shows went head-to-head. In the 20 minutes after 8pm, The Voice averaged 8.9 million viewers, almost 2.5 million more than its rival on ITV.
ITV hit back saying that if it excluded the performance of its soap operas, BGT was the best-rated show of the year.
* A 29-year-old woman has been charged with aggravated burglary after allegedly breaking into the Simon Cowell's home. Leanne Zaloumis, of Catford, south-east London, was due to appear at West London Magistrates' Court today after allegedly forcing her way into the property in Holland Park, west London, at 10.30pm on Saturday. Cowell was reportedly at home.
film Sex scene trailer sees a shirtless Jamie Dornan turn up the heat
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
- 2 Venezuela Expo Tattoo 2015: Extreme body art from 'Vampire Woman' to 109mm earlobes
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
Gorillaz Phase 4: Cartoon supergroup is back as new artwork is unveiled
Venezuela Expo Tattoo 2015: Extreme body art from 'Vampire Woman' to 109mm earlobes
As Better Call Saul launches, here are the other spin-off shows we need to see
Game of Thrones season 5 trailer: The first full-length look is here
Sia apologises for 'Elastic Heart' music video that sees Shia LaBeouf wrestle 12-year-old Maddie Ziegler
Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
Hard line on immigration could cost Tories the election