Sorry to see you go, Glo: Sue Johnston to quit Coronation Street's cobbles
Thursday 20 June 2013
Royle Family star Sue Johnston is quitting Coronation Street.
The actress, who plays Gloria Price in the ITV soap, is leaving to work on other shows.
She will film her last scenes at Christmas, but show bosses are leaving open the possibility of a return.
The actress, 69, first appeared as Gloria, the interfering mother of Rovers landlady Stella Price (Michelle Collins), in September last year.
A spokeswoman for the show said: "Sue will be on screen until early spring 2014 when Gloria will leave Weatherfield for the time being."
Sue shot to fame as Sheila Grant in Channel 4 soap Brookside and previously appeared in Coronation Street in a minor role as bookie's wife Mrs Chadwick, in 1982.
She recently starred as Eileen Lewis in TV series Being Eileen.
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 World Cup 2014: 20 things we learned in Brazil
- 2 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 3 War is war: Why I stand with Israel
- 4 L'Oreal cuts ties with Belgium supporter Axelle Despiegelaere after hunting trip photographs
- 5 World Cup 2014: Robin van Persie gives his bronze medal to eccentric Netherlands fan moments after being handed it by Sepp Blatter
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
War is war: Why I stand with Israel
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’