Star Wars TV series to hit screens in 2014
Disney has announced it will launch TV series Star Wars Rebels
Disney is set to launch an animated Star Wars TV series, it has announced today.
The animated series will give fans of the multi-million science fiction franchise new stories in the run-up to the next Star Wars film in 2015.
Star Wars Rebels will be set in the two decades between the events of the third and fourth film, where the Empire becomes a dominant force in the galaxy, according to Disney.
The series, which will premiere globally on the Disney Channel in 2014, is the company's latest plan to extend George Lucas’ franchise after buying Lucasfilm in October 2012.
The company also plans to release three new Star Wars films, with the first in the series, Star Wars: Episode VII, due for release in 2015.
Jonathan Rhys Meyers, who starred in The Tudors and From Paris with Love, is rumoured to be in the running for the forthcoming Star Wars film, according to the Latino Review.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Home Office says Nigerian asylum-seeker can’t be a lesbian as she’s got children
- 2 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 3 Drugs Live cannabis trial: Hash is less harmful than any other drug, expert claims
- 4 Turkish Airlines flight TK 726 crash-lands on Nepal runway amid dense fog
- 5 Apple and Google users being spied on for a decade because of 'Freak' security flaw
Durham Free School: 'Creationism taught at' free school facing closure
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
Ukraine crisis: Top Chinese diplomat backs Putin and says West should 'abandon zero-sum mentality'
Boris Nemtsov shot dead: Outspoken Putin critic who had expressed fears for his life is killed near the Kremlin