The Archers actor Arnold Peters dies aged 87
Tuesday 14 May 2013
Veteran actor Arnold Peters, who was known for his role as Jack Woolley in The Archers for more than 30 years, has died at the age of 87.
His appearances on the show spanned almost 60 years, having first featured in the cast in 1953 and notching up spells as two other characters prior to Jack.
Peters died after suffering from Alzheimer's, a disease which also affected his character - although he continued to perform until July 2011 despite the condition.
His family said he died on Saturday at a home in Northamptonshire.
Peters was diagnosed with Alzheimer's shortly after his character began to suffer from the condition but, despite the toll it was taking on his memory, he was able to continue acting and was said to "come to life" in front of a microphone.
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
Stall talk: The arcane rules of chit-chat that take place in the gents'
Paul Walker: Fast and Furious cast release video tribute to late star
Nymphomaniac trailer shown to children at screening of Disney film Frozen
The top gay icons (straight up!)
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Nelson Mandela life story: An unconquerable spirit
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
- < Previous
- Next >