Top HBO ratings for Behind the Candelabra thumbs nose at Hollywood for refusing to back the Liberace biopic starring Michael Douglas
Thursday 30 May 2013
Hollywood will doubtless be ruing its decision not to back the Liberace biopic Behind the Candelabra starring Michael Douglas in the title role after it was watched by 3.5 million people on subscription TV channel HBO.
Nielsen ratings company said 2.4 million people tuned in to the movie's live premiere over the weekend. This represented the network's biggest audience for one of its original movies since Something the Lord Made in 2004. A subsequent 1.1 million people saw a repeat of the Liberace movie that began right after the first airing.
The film's director Steven Soderbergh was turned down flat when he approached Hollywood studios to finance the film in 2011.
Having been picked up by TV channel HBO the film, which was warmly received at Cannes last week, at least got a widespread distribution.
The film charts Liberace 's five-year affair with Scott Thorson, played by Matt Damon.
Art Piece taken off website amid 'severe security alert'
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Academy criticised after no non-white actors nominated
tvAn expose of hooliganism masquerading as an ideological battle
artLee Hadwin can't draw when he's awake, but by night he's an artist
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Asteroid narrowly scrapes past Earth: how to watch the closest space rock for decades as it flies by
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
- 4 British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
- 5 Watch Richard Dawkins read his own hatemail: 'I hope you do get sodomised by satanic monkeys in hell'
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
Islamic history is full of free thinkers - but recent attempts to suppress critical thought are verging on the absurd
30,000 reasons why the rhetoric on immigrants claiming benefits can stop now