What to watch on TV tonight from Doctor Who to Seven Wonders of Brazil
If food is more your thing then Celebrity MasterChef is also back at 8.30pm
Seven Wonders of Brazil
Football may be a religion in Brazil, but the country’s bona fide faith is a Catholicism steeped in African and native beliefs and the faith of the southern Europeans who invaded. Theologian Robert Beckford (left) is our guide.
Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor
The Bafta-winning 50th-anniversary special in which Matt Smith was joined by former Doctors David Tennant and Tom Baker, as well as Billie Piper, John Hurt and (a glimpse) of the new Doctor, Peter Capaldi.
A mass-catering challenge at a West Ham bus garage is followed by cooking for former champion Phil Vickery and previous finalists Janet Street-Porter and Andi Peters.
Friday Night Dinner
10pm, Channel 4
The return of Robert Popper’s sitcom of suburban Jewish family life. Adam (Simon Bird) brings new girlfriend Emma to dinner, while having to navigate father Martin (Paul Ritter) and his inappropriate conversation, neighbour Jim (Mark Heap) and his incontinent dog and a blackmailing eight-year-old.
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Paralysed man Darek Fidyka walks again after treatment by British doctors on brink of 'cure'
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Jose Manuel Barroso warns David Cameron against making 'historic mistake' over immigration reforms
Worst Airports of 2014: Poll names Islamabad airport in Pakistan worst in the world