Who's in the running to play the female Captain Mainwaring?
The military upbringing, the posh voice, the gift for slapstick, Middle England’s favourite female clown is the perfect fit for the hapless captain.
A terrible snob and queen of the withering put-down as Sybil Fawlty, Scales would surely relish Mainwaring’s catchphrase “You stupid boy”.
It’s about time the much-loved bespectacled stand-up had a go at acting. Her cosy but cutting image could make for a thoroughly modern Mainwaring.
One of the most gifted comic actresses around, Staunton would capture Mainwaring’s bluster with flare.
Brisk, well-spoken and ever-so-slightly superior, the comedian could be a leftfield choice.
Game of Thrones
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Moscow voted the world's unfriendliest city
- 2 The excuses your boss is most likely to believe when you call in sick
- 3 I'm pansexual – here are the five biggest misconceptions about my sexuality
- 4 More than 11,000 Icelanders offer to house Syrian refugees to help European crisis
- 5 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don’t change Europe’s attitude to refugees, what will?
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches, it's time to act
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don’t change Europe’s attitude to refugees, what will?
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up