Who's in the running to play the female Captain Mainwaring?
The military upbringing, the posh voice, the gift for slapstick, Middle England’s favourite female clown is the perfect fit for the hapless captain.
A terrible snob and queen of the withering put-down as Sybil Fawlty, Scales would surely relish Mainwaring’s catchphrase “You stupid boy”.
It’s about time the much-loved bespectacled stand-up had a go at acting. Her cosy but cutting image could make for a thoroughly modern Mainwaring.
One of the most gifted comic actresses around, Staunton would capture Mainwaring’s bluster with flare.
Brisk, well-spoken and ever-so-slightly superior, the comedian could be a leftfield choice.
A The film has amassed an estimated $28.7 million in its opening weekend
A statement was published on his fansite, True To You, following release of new album
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns aged 27
- 3 Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'
- 4 Nicki Minaj finally releases predictable 'Anaconda' video
- 5 James Foley 'beheading': Met police warn public watching murder video could be criminal offence
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again. It would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish Independence Referendum: Salmond described as 'arrogant, ambitious and dishonest' by Scottish women