'People' tops magazines with the most Twitter followers
Tuesday 08 February 2011
InStyle claim the most followers of any magazines in Twitter, according to a ranking of 50 magazines published by industry source Folio.
The ranking, released February 1, indicates that some traditional media outlets are successfully embracing new media, with eight of them claiming more than one million followers. According to statistics from Twitter Counter, out of 200 million Twitter accounts, less than 350 have more than one million followers.
Here are the five magazines with the most Twitter followers:
1. People - 2.3 million followers
2. Time - 2.3 million
3. InStyle - 1.9 million
4. Women's Wear Daily - 1.7 million
5. Entertainment Weekly - 1.5 million
Newsweek, Life and Health round out those with more than one million followers, while in the range between one million and half a million are Wired, The Economist, TV Guide and National Geographic.
At the time the list was released, Marie Claire had 314,275 followers, Sports Illustrated 292,197, and Rolling Stone 255,740, while Forbes ranked 32 with 211,941 followers.
Around or below 151,000 followers include Consumer Reports, Travel + Leisure, Playboy, Food & Wine, People (en Español), and Parenting in 50th place.
Some significant increases since October 2010 include Wired, which grew by 12%, and Vanity Fair and Consumer Reports, which also experienced double digit increases.
Currently, Lady Gaga boasts the most Twitter followers at 8 million. Next are Justin Bieber with 7 million, Britney Spears with 6.7 million and President Barack Obama with 6.6 million.
MusicThe band accidentally called Londoners the C-word
Film 'I've never been comfortable on-screen', she says
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 I'm A Celebrity 2014: Jungle security stepped up after murder and 'suspicious death' near to camp
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Jeremy Hunt: 'I took my children to A&E because I didn't want to wait for GP appointment'
- 4 Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
- 5 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict