Playboy magazine returns to 1961 price
Tuesday 20 September 2011
The Playboy Club debuting on NBC-TV September 19, the October issue of
Playboy magazine will include a 1960s theme. Actress Laura Benanti from the television series will appear on the cover in a look similar to the magazine's April 1963 issue.
Playboy's October magazine cost will be reduced to 60 cents, the price in the early 1960s.
The first Playboy Club opened in Chicago, where the new show is set. The clubs were all closed by 1991, but one reopened in Las Vegas in 2006, with London, Cancun and Macao to follow.
With the success of the retro-styled Mad Men television series, about the advertising world circa the 1960s, a spate of new shows on US television this fall are vintage-inspired, including The Playboy Club, about the cocktail lounge originally launched by the magazine.
Another upcoming show that conjures the 1960s is Pan Am, focused on the world of airline stewardesses instead of the now iconic Playboy Bunny waitress.
Described as a provocative drama about a transformative era that challenged "existing social mores," the show depicts the seductive fantasy world of the Playboy Club with the club key as a sought-after status symbol, with the caveat: "all that glitters isn't gold."
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Paralysed man Darek Fidyka walks again after treatment by British doctors on brink of 'cure'
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Jose Manuel Barroso warns David Cameron against making 'historic mistake' over immigration reforms
Worst Airports of 2014: Poll names Islamabad airport in Pakistan worst in the world