Album: Mad Men Season 2, Retail & rental, (Lionsgate)
Sunday 12 July 2009
Mad Men will never win any awards for promoting a healthy lifestyle. If you can see through the cigarette fug, yes, that is yet another drink the team at ad agency Sterling Cooper is downing.
And hurrah for that, because, like everything else in this exquisite show, these excesses are sublimely true to the 1960s world of the series. Abortion, marriage breakdowns, missile crises, gender and race rights – all the issues are here, and covered with supreme subtlety.
Arts & Ents blogs
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
No EU referendum under Labour: Ed Miliband to reveal that vote on membership is ‘unlikely’ in next Parliament if party wins power
Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
Europeans have ‘got whiter’ due to natural selection in past 5,000 years, scientists say
Fracking is turning the US into a bigger oil producer than Saudi Arabia
The rise of Ukip: Study warns Labour that Eurosceptic party's electoral base now 'more working class than any of the main parties'
- 1 Is your name now 'banned' in Saudi Arabia?
- 2 Tony Benn meets Ali G: Watch Labour veteran burn Sacha Baron Cohen
- 3 Women do experience two different types of orgasm, study reveals
- 4 Istanbul protesters take 'Ellen selfie' from the back of a police van
- 5 Lady Gaga has struggled with eating disorders in the past, so it's indefensible that she's glamourising bulimia in her SXSW set