This year's top Super Bowl ads and where to watch them
The Green Bay Packers were crowned champions of the National Football League (NFL) on February 6 in the biggest event of the American football season, the Super Bowl. In addition to the actual game, the event is known for its high-profile advertisements that are broadcast throughout the event on US television. Here are the top-ranked ads and where to watch them online.
The Super Bowl is broadcast around the world and attracts approximately 100 million viewers, though many more likely watch the game online via streaming sites. In order to see how this audience, particularly in the USA, reacted to the ads, marketing and advertising insights company Ace Metrix has ranked each of the adverts shown on American television during this year's Super Bowl.
This year's top spots include a man getting more than he bargained for when teasing a dog with Doritos, soft drinks helping facilitate friendship over borders and the unexpected benefits of zero-calorie soft drinks.
The scores are based upon the"watchability " and "persuasion " of each ad and, according to Ace Metrix, reflect how likely a viewer would be to watch each one if it came on TV.
The top five US ads aired during the 2011 Super Bowl as scored by Ace Metrix are:
1. Doritos (crisps/ snacks) - "Pug Attack
" (Ace Metrix score: 662)
Watch on YouTube at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpjaOUjUPUc
2. Pepsi Max (soft drinks) - "Love Hurts
" (Ace Metrix score: 643)
Watch on YouTube at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVQrH0aHGAc
3. Doritos (crisps/ snacks) - "House Sitting" (Ace Metrix score: 635)
Watch on YouTube at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9eb9S9_nOU
4. Pepsi Max (soft drinks) - "Torpedo Cooler" (Ace Metrix score: 634)
Watch on YouTube at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IouBzdJIR_E
5. Coca-Cola (soft drinks) - "Border Crossing" (Ace Metrix Score: 615)
Watch on YouTube at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqYCwnTrPgo
According to market insights company Nielsen, 49 percent of Americans watched the Super Bowl at home, and during the days before the game Americans spent $184.8 million/€135.9 million on potato chips alone.
Arts & Ents blogs
What a wonderful way to end this momentous series in the 50th year of Doctor Who. From the start of ...
Let's talk book blurbs, those quotes you get, usually from other writers, that are meant to entice y...
Fela Kuti, Jewish food and The Great Gatsby are just some of the reasons why the rainy weather ahead...
- 1 Stoke City investigate 'religious abuse' after 'pig's head is found in Kenwyne Jones' locker'
- 2 Gove’s lesson: spare the comma, spoil the child
- 3 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 4 Join Ryanair! See the world! But we'll only pay you for nine months a year
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.