United Artists at 90 Short Film Competition
Directed by Walter Grauman
Thursday 06 March 2008
633 Squadron (1964) has enjoyed an unqualified string of successes. Their luck changes when they are assigned to bomb a German rocket fuel plant, in Norway which is guarded by heavy anti-aircraft defences, and the plant is considered bomb-proof. Their nearly impossible mission is further complicated by a German air raid, the difficult approach to the target and the capture and torture of the underground leader who is assisting the squadron.
Frederick E. Smith (Novel)
James Clavell (Screenplay)
Howard Koch (Screenplay)
Cliff Robertson … Wing Cmdr. Roy Grant
George Chakiris … Lt. Erik Bergman
Maria Perschy … Hilde Bergman
Harry Andrews … Air Vice Marshal Davis
Donald Houston … Group Capt. Don Barrett
Michael Goodliffe … Squadron Leader Frank Adams
John Meillon … Flight Lt. Gillibrand
John Bonney … Flight Lt. Scott
Angus Lennie … Flying Officer Hoppy Hopkinson
John Church … Flying Officer Evans
Barbara Archer … Rosie the barmaid at Black Swan Inn
Sean Kelly … Lt. Nigel
Julian Sherrier … Flight Lt. Singh
Geoffrey Frederick … Flight Lt. Frank
Suzan Farmer … WAAF Sgt. Mary Blake / Bissell
Johnny Briggs … Lt Jones
- The German "fighters" were actually 4-seat Messerschmitt 108 "Taifuns," painted to look like Me-109 fighters.
- Cliff Robertson, an accomplished pilot, wanted to buy one of the Mosquitoes after filming had finished, as he was so impressed with the type. He was not permitted to do this but he later bought a Spitfire Mk IX which he owned until the late 1990s.
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Sek, k'athjilari! (That’s “yes, definitely” to non-native speakers).TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 4 The inventor of the Facebook 'like' button says he never made a 'dislike' button because he feared the 'unfortunate consequences'
- 5 Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
James Blunt finally admits the truth: 'You're Beautiful' is annoying
Doctor Who, Flatline - review: Clara isn’t half bad as the Time Lord
Downton Abbey review series 5, episode 5: Period drama falls disappointingly flat
Star Wars Episode 7 has almost finished filming
Fury, film review: Brad Pitt is intriguing as unsympathetic war hero
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Lord Freud: Tory welfare minister apologises after saying disabled people are 'not worth’ the minimum wage
Lord Freud hangs on as MPs of all parties 'call for his head' over disability comments