United Artists at 90 Short Film Competition
Directed by Hal Ashby
Friday 07 March 2008
Coming Home is a 1978 film which tells the story of an injured Vietnam War veteran's difficulty in re-entering civilian life after his return from the war.
Sally Bender is the wife of a Captain in the United States Army. He is sent over to Vietnam, and Sally is alone. With nothing else to do, she decides to volunteer at a local veteran's hospital, where she meets Luke, who went to high school with Sally. Luke was wounded and is paralyzed and confined to a wheelchair. When Sally begins to fall in love with Luke, she has to make a crucial decision about her life.
Robert C. Jones (Writer)
Waldo Salt (Writer)
Nancy Dowd (Story)
Jane Fonda … Sally Hyde
Jon Voight … Luke Martin
Bruce Dern … Capt. Bob Hyde
Penelope Milford … Vi Munson
Robert Carradine … Bill Munson
Robert Ginty … Sgt. Dink Mobley
Mary Gregory … Martha Vickery
Kathleen Miller … Kathy Delise
Beeson Carroll … Capt. Earl Delise
Willie Tyler … Virgil
Louis Carello … Bozo (as Lou Carello)
Charles Cyphers … Pee Wee
Olivia Cole … Corrine
Tresa Hughes … Nurse Degroot
Bruce French … Dr. Lincoln
Mary Jackson … Fleta Wilson
Tim Pelt … Jason
Richard Lawson … Pat
Rita Taggart … Johnson
Claudie Watson … Bridges
Sally Frei … Connie
- It won Academy Awards for Best Actor in a Leading Role (Jon Voight), Best Actress in a Leading Role (Jane Fonda) and Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen.
- Sylvester Stallone, Jack Nicholson and Al Pacino declined the role that went to Jon Voight
- The opening scene where the vets in the hospital are talking was totally unscripted. They were real Vietnam vets discussing their own views about the war. Jon Voight was supposed to have added to the dialog, but out of respect stayed silent and listened.
Game of Thrones
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Huawei Mate S and Huawei Watch: new products take on iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch
- 2 More than 11,000 Icelanders offer to house Syrian refugees to help European crisis
- 5 German police forced to ask public to stop bringing donations for refugees arriving by train
The real reason Eddie Redmayne was cast as a trans woman in The Danish Girl
JK Rowling announces Harry Potter's son is starting at Hogwarts
Idris Elba is ‘too street’ to play 007, says James Bond author
Akram Khan: Choreographer says dance is 'as important as maths and being a doctor'
Common words you're probably misusing: From 'enormity' to 'ultimately', 'gambit' to 'fortuitous'
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up