United Artists at 90 Short Film Competition
Directed by Hal Ashby
Friday 07 March 2008
Coming Home is a 1978 film which tells the story of an injured Vietnam War veteran's difficulty in re-entering civilian life after his return from the war.
Sally Bender is the wife of a Captain in the United States Army. He is sent over to Vietnam, and Sally is alone. With nothing else to do, she decides to volunteer at a local veteran's hospital, where she meets Luke, who went to high school with Sally. Luke was wounded and is paralyzed and confined to a wheelchair. When Sally begins to fall in love with Luke, she has to make a crucial decision about her life.
Robert C. Jones (Writer)
Waldo Salt (Writer)
Nancy Dowd (Story)
Jane Fonda … Sally Hyde
Jon Voight … Luke Martin
Bruce Dern … Capt. Bob Hyde
Penelope Milford … Vi Munson
Robert Carradine … Bill Munson
Robert Ginty … Sgt. Dink Mobley
Mary Gregory … Martha Vickery
Kathleen Miller … Kathy Delise
Beeson Carroll … Capt. Earl Delise
Willie Tyler … Virgil
Louis Carello … Bozo (as Lou Carello)
Charles Cyphers … Pee Wee
Olivia Cole … Corrine
Tresa Hughes … Nurse Degroot
Bruce French … Dr. Lincoln
Mary Jackson … Fleta Wilson
Tim Pelt … Jason
Richard Lawson … Pat
Rita Taggart … Johnson
Claudie Watson … Bridges
Sally Frei … Connie
- It won Academy Awards for Best Actor in a Leading Role (Jon Voight), Best Actress in a Leading Role (Jane Fonda) and Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen.
- Sylvester Stallone, Jack Nicholson and Al Pacino declined the role that went to Jon Voight
- The opening scene where the vets in the hospital are talking was totally unscripted. They were real Vietnam vets discussing their own views about the war. Jon Voight was supposed to have added to the dialog, but out of respect stayed silent and listened.
filmIn Black Seahe is as audiences have never seen him before
MusicThe band accidentally called Londoners the C-word
Film 'I've never been comfortable on-screen', she says
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jennifer Lawrence scores first UK top 40 single with Hunger Games track 'The Hanging Tree'
- 2 Shia LaBeouf claims he was raped during #IAMSORRY art installation performance
- 3 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
- 5 Michael Buerk wishes he killed Jimmy Savile when he had the chance - by pushing him overboard a cruise ship
I'm A Celebrity 2014: Jungle security stepped up after murder and 'suspicious death' close to camp
Star Wars The Force Awakens trailer: What we know about JJ Abrams' film
Exodus Gods and Kings casting controversy: Ridley Scott would never cast 'Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such' in lead role
Jennifer Lawrence scores first UK top 40 single with Hunger Games track 'The Hanging Tree'
The Fall, series 2, episode 3 – TV review: The Gillian Anderson drama is starting to push the realms of plausibility, but who cares?
Obama: The only people with the right to object to immigration are Native Americans
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Ukip mocked after mistaking Westminster Cathedral – for a mosque
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
David Cameron sets out immigration reforms: We should distrust Ukip and their 'snake-oil of simple solutions'