United Artists at 90 Short Film Competition
Igby Goes Down
Directed by Burr Steers
Thursday 13 March 2008
Igby Goes Down is a 2002 film that follows the life of Igby Slocumb.
Igby Slocumb, a rebellious and sarcastic seventeen year-old boy, is at war with the oppressive world of his East Coast "old money" family. With a schizophrenic father, a self-absorbed, distant mother, and a shark-like young Republican big brother, Igby figures there must be a better life out there, and he sets out to find it. After happily flunking out of several Prep Schools, Igby escapes into the bohemian underworld of Manhattan. His darkly comic trip--shared by a deviant cast of characters, including his terminally bored, part-time lover Sookie, his Godfather's trophy mistress Rachel, and smack-dealing performance artists Russel--veers from bizarre to tragic in Igby's ultimately noble attempt to keep himself from "going down."
Kieran Culkin … Jason "Igby" Slocumb, Jr.
Claire Danes … Sookie Sapperstein
Jeff Goldblum … D.H. Banes
Jared Harris … Russel
Amanda Peet … Rachel
Ryan Phillippe … Oliver "Ollie" Slocumb
Bill Pullman … Jason Slocumb, Sr.
Susan Sarandon … Mimi Slocumb
Rory Culkin … 10-year-old Jason "Igby" Slocumb, Jr.
Peter Anthony Tambakis … 13-year-old Oliver "Ollie" Slocumb
Bill Irwin … Lt. Ernest Smith, Pershing Academy
Eric Bogosian … Mr. Nice Guy
Cynthia Nixon … Mrs. Piggee
Danny Tamberelli … Turtle
Gregory Itzin … Eulogist #2
Gore Vidal … First School Headmaster
- Writer/director Burr Steers originally intended to make this a novel, not a movie.
- Kieran Culkin was actually drinking white grape juice at the Hampton's party
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
Paul Walker: Fast and Furious cast release video tribute to late star
David Bowie premieres politically-charged music video for ‘I’d Rather Be High’
Nymphomaniac trailer shown to children at screening of Disney film Frozen
The top gay icons (straight up!)
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Nelson Mandela life story: An unconquerable spirit
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 Video: Students 'punched and dragged to the ground by their hair' as police break up demonstration