United Artists at 90 Short Film Competition
Judgement at Nuremburg
Directed by Stanley Kramer
Wednesday 19 March 2008
Judgemennt At Nuremburg (1961) is a courtroom drama directed by Stanley Kramer. It won 2 Oscars; Best Actor in a Leading Role for Maximilian Schell and Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material from Another Medium for Abby Mann.
It has been three years since the most important Nazi leaders had already been tried. This trial is about 4 Judges who used their offices to conduct Nazi sterilization and cleansing policies. Retired American Judge, Judge Dan Haywood has a daunting task ahead of him. The Cold War is heating up and no one wants any more trials as Germany, and allied Governments, want to forget the past. But the question that the tribunal must decide is whether that the right thing to do is.
Spencer Tracy … Chief Judge Dan Haywood
Burt Lancaster … Dr. Ernst Janning
Richard Widmark … Col. Tad Lawson
Marlene Dietrich … Mrs. Bertholt
Maximilian Schell … Hans Rolfe
Judy Garland … Mrs. Irene Hoffman Wallner
Montgomery Clift … Rudolph Petersen
Ed Binns … Sen. Burkette (as Edward Binns)
Werner Klemperer … Emil Hahn
Torben Meyer … Werner Lampe
Martin Brandt … Friedrich Hofstetter
William Shatner … Capt. Harrison Byers
Kenneth MacKenna … Judge Kenneth Norris
Alan Baxter … Brig. Gen. Matt Merrin
Ray Teal …. Judge Curtiss Ives
- Laurence Olivier was originally cast as Ernst Janning.
- Maximilian Schell's Lead Actor Oscar makes him the lowest-billed lead category winner in history. He is billed fifth, after Tracy, Lancaster, Widmark, and Dietrich.Stanley
- Kramer allowed Marlene Dietrich to write a good deal of her own part, as the actress had personally experienced many of the wartime horrors of her character.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 The man who filmed the Freddie Gray video has been arrested at gunpoint
- 2 Pub landlord captures moment customer falls over on CCTV – just like Del Boy did on Only Fools and Horses
- 3 Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to join show
- 4 Frankie Boyle on Scottish independence: 'In the Interests of Unity, F**k Off'
- 5 How to gain confidence and maximise your sexual potential
Penny Dreadful, series 2 episode 1, review: We're back alright, but on very familiar ground
Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to join show
Eurovision 2015: What date is the song contest and who are the favourites to win?
Game of Thrones, season 5 episode 4, review: Sansa in danger of becoming another footnote in Westeros' bloody history
Noel Gallagher 'cannot wait' to hear Oasis-inspired One Direction album but rants about 'pointless' Tidal and Spotify
In defence of liberal democracy
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
General election live: SNP suspends two members for disrupting Labour rally
Schools forced to act as 'miniature welfare states' with teachers buying underwear and even haircuts for poor pupils
Andy McSmith's Sketch: Feisty audience is the real star of an enlightening show