United Artists at 90 Short Film Competition
Directed by John Wayne
Thursday 06 March 2008
The Alamo (1960) is about the 1836 Battle of the Alamo. It was John Wayne’s directorial debut and he also starred in and produced the film.
In 1836 General Santa Anna and the Mexican army is sweeping across Texas. To be able to stop him, General Sam Huston needs time to get his main force into shape. To buy that time he orders Colonel William Travis to defend a small mission on the Mexicans' route at all costs. Travis' small troop is swelled by groups accompanying Jim Bowie and Davy Crockett, but as the situation becomes ever more desperate Travis makes it clear there will be no shame if they leave while they can.
James Edward Grant
John Wayne … Col. Davy Crockett
Richard Widmark … Jim Bowie
Laurence Harvey … Col. William Travis
Frankie Avalon … Smitty
Patrick Wayne … Capt. James Butler Bonham
Linda Cristal … Graciela Carmela Maria 'Flaca' de Lopez y Vejar
Joan O'Brien … Mrs. Sue Dickinson
Joseph Calleia … Juan Seguin
Ken Curtis … Capt. Almeron Dickinson
Carlos Arruza … Lt. Reyes
Jester Hairston … Jethro
Veda Ann Borg … Blind Nell Robertson
John Dierkes … Jocko Robertson
- Lieutenant Finn's fall from his horse was unscripted and unintentional.
- The huge Alamo set took two years to construct.
- John Wayne originally intended that Richard Widmark should play Davy Crockett, while Wayne himself would have taken the small role of Sam Houston so he could focus his energy on directing the picture. However, Wayne was only able to get financial backing if he played one of the main parts, so he decided to play Crockett and cast Widmark as Jim Bowie.
- John Wayne and Richard Widmark did not get along during filming. Widmark later blamed the feud on Wayne's lack of directing skills.
Look beyond the usual shows for the best festive telly
The battle for control of Stieg Larsson's £30m legacy
Geoffrey Macnab does not like the comedian's big screen debut
Arts & Ents blogs
Exclusive: Young people ‘want UK to stay in Europe’: Four in 10 adults aged 18 to 24 are ‘firmly in favour’ of membership, poll shows
Tom Daley ‘is gay because his father died’ says UK evangelist
Iain Duncan Smith leaves Commons food banks debate early
Kiss and yell: Italian protester charged with sexual assault after kissing riot police officer
PM denies two child limit for benefits is part of Tory welfare policy
Anachronistic and iniquitous, grammar schools are a blot on the British education system
- 1 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 2 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'
- 3 Iain Duncan Smith leaves Commons food banks debate early
- 4 Cycle death inquest: Boyfriend hugs driver of 32 tonne tipper truck that killed his girlfriend
- 5 Burglar steals video tapes of child abuse, hands them into police
- < Previous
- Next >