United Artists at 90 Short Film Competition
Directed by John Wayne
Thursday 06 March 2008
The Alamo (1960) is about the 1836 Battle of the Alamo. It was John Wayne’s directorial debut and he also starred in and produced the film.
In 1836 General Santa Anna and the Mexican army is sweeping across Texas. To be able to stop him, General Sam Huston needs time to get his main force into shape. To buy that time he orders Colonel William Travis to defend a small mission on the Mexicans' route at all costs. Travis' small troop is swelled by groups accompanying Jim Bowie and Davy Crockett, but as the situation becomes ever more desperate Travis makes it clear there will be no shame if they leave while they can.
James Edward Grant
John Wayne … Col. Davy Crockett
Richard Widmark … Jim Bowie
Laurence Harvey … Col. William Travis
Frankie Avalon … Smitty
Patrick Wayne … Capt. James Butler Bonham
Linda Cristal … Graciela Carmela Maria 'Flaca' de Lopez y Vejar
Joan O'Brien … Mrs. Sue Dickinson
Joseph Calleia … Juan Seguin
Ken Curtis … Capt. Almeron Dickinson
Carlos Arruza … Lt. Reyes
Jester Hairston … Jethro
Veda Ann Borg … Blind Nell Robertson
John Dierkes … Jocko Robertson
- Lieutenant Finn's fall from his horse was unscripted and unintentional.
- The huge Alamo set took two years to construct.
- John Wayne originally intended that Richard Widmark should play Davy Crockett, while Wayne himself would have taken the small role of Sam Houston so he could focus his energy on directing the picture. However, Wayne was only able to get financial backing if he played one of the main parts, so he decided to play Crockett and cast Widmark as Jim Bowie.
- John Wayne and Richard Widmark did not get along during filming. Widmark later blamed the feud on Wayne's lack of directing skills.
Artists unveils new exhibition inspired by Hastings beachart
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Apple has installed security backdoors on 600m iPhones and iPads, claims security researcher
- 2 UK pirates will get four warning letters a year
- 3 Fight Club 2: Chuck Palahniuk sequel is a 'meta-fictional comment on the cultural response to the original'
- 4 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 5 Israel-Gaza conflict: Deadly flechette shells 'used by Israeli military in Gaza Strip’
Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 crash: 'Nine Britons, 23 Americans and 80 children' feared dead after Boeing passenger jet is 'shot down' near Ukraine-Russia border
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Vladimir Putin is given 'one last chance' to end hostilities in Ukraine
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: victims’ bodies bundled in black bags and loaded onto trains