United Artists at 90 Short Film Competition
Directed by John Wayne
Thursday 06 March 2008
The Alamo (1960) is about the 1836 Battle of the Alamo. It was John Wayne’s directorial debut and he also starred in and produced the film.
In 1836 General Santa Anna and the Mexican army is sweeping across Texas. To be able to stop him, General Sam Huston needs time to get his main force into shape. To buy that time he orders Colonel William Travis to defend a small mission on the Mexicans' route at all costs. Travis' small troop is swelled by groups accompanying Jim Bowie and Davy Crockett, but as the situation becomes ever more desperate Travis makes it clear there will be no shame if they leave while they can.
James Edward Grant
John Wayne … Col. Davy Crockett
Richard Widmark … Jim Bowie
Laurence Harvey … Col. William Travis
Frankie Avalon … Smitty
Patrick Wayne … Capt. James Butler Bonham
Linda Cristal … Graciela Carmela Maria 'Flaca' de Lopez y Vejar
Joan O'Brien … Mrs. Sue Dickinson
Joseph Calleia … Juan Seguin
Ken Curtis … Capt. Almeron Dickinson
Carlos Arruza … Lt. Reyes
Jester Hairston … Jethro
Veda Ann Borg … Blind Nell Robertson
John Dierkes … Jocko Robertson
- Lieutenant Finn's fall from his horse was unscripted and unintentional.
- The huge Alamo set took two years to construct.
- John Wayne originally intended that Richard Widmark should play Davy Crockett, while Wayne himself would have taken the small role of Sam Houston so he could focus his energy on directing the picture. However, Wayne was only able to get financial backing if he played one of the main parts, so he decided to play Crockett and cast Widmark as Jim Bowie.
- John Wayne and Richard Widmark did not get along during filming. Widmark later blamed the feud on Wayne's lack of directing skills.
GlastonburyWI to make debut appearance at Somerset festival
TV reviewIt has taken seven episodes for Game of Thrones season five to hit its stride
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 California man brutally beat 82-year-old Sikh grandfather he mistook for 'one of those people'
- 3 Charles Kennedy 'had better judgement drunk than many sober politicians' says Ian Hislop
- 5 We have six months to save the world, says leading economist
Game of Thrones, Battle of Hardhome: 20-minute Wildlings versus White Walkers battle took a 'solid month' to film
Game of Thrones season 5 episode 9, The Dance of Dragons: Jon Snow returns to The Wall after epic Battle of Hardhome
Britain's Got Talent final 2015: 90 viewers complain to Ofcom about Alesha Dixon and Amanda Holden's 'revealing' dresses
Ed Sheeran debuts new song 'Sweet Mary Jane' about his love affair with weed
Black Angel: Long lost Star Wars precursor to be made into crowdfunded feature film
Thousands of teenage girls enduring debilitating illnesses after routine school cancer vaccination
Migrants in Kos: Photos show real tragedy after Brits abroad complain of 'awkward' holidays
British tourists complain that impoverished boat migrants are making holidays 'awkward' in Kos
Michael Gove determined to scrap the Human Rights Act – even if Scotland retains it
Threat to scrap Human Rights Act could see UK follow Nazi example, warns UN official
Church of England 'one generation away from extinction' after dramatic loss of followers