United Artists at 90 Short Film Competition
Directed by John Wayne
Thursday 06 March 2008
The Alamo (1960) is about the 1836 Battle of the Alamo. It was John Wayne’s directorial debut and he also starred in and produced the film.
In 1836 General Santa Anna and the Mexican army is sweeping across Texas. To be able to stop him, General Sam Huston needs time to get his main force into shape. To buy that time he orders Colonel William Travis to defend a small mission on the Mexicans' route at all costs. Travis' small troop is swelled by groups accompanying Jim Bowie and Davy Crockett, but as the situation becomes ever more desperate Travis makes it clear there will be no shame if they leave while they can.
James Edward Grant
John Wayne … Col. Davy Crockett
Richard Widmark … Jim Bowie
Laurence Harvey … Col. William Travis
Frankie Avalon … Smitty
Patrick Wayne … Capt. James Butler Bonham
Linda Cristal … Graciela Carmela Maria 'Flaca' de Lopez y Vejar
Joan O'Brien … Mrs. Sue Dickinson
Joseph Calleia … Juan Seguin
Ken Curtis … Capt. Almeron Dickinson
Carlos Arruza … Lt. Reyes
Jester Hairston … Jethro
Veda Ann Borg … Blind Nell Robertson
John Dierkes … Jocko Robertson
- Lieutenant Finn's fall from his horse was unscripted and unintentional.
- The huge Alamo set took two years to construct.
- John Wayne originally intended that Richard Widmark should play Davy Crockett, while Wayne himself would have taken the small role of Sam Houston so he could focus his energy on directing the picture. However, Wayne was only able to get financial backing if he played one of the main parts, so he decided to play Crockett and cast Widmark as Jim Bowie.
- John Wayne and Richard Widmark did not get along during filming. Widmark later blamed the feud on Wayne's lack of directing skills.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Half of young women unable to ‘locate vagina’ and 65% find it difficult to say the word
- 2 Emma Watson on Jennifer Lawrence naked photo leak: 'Even worse than seeing women's privacy violated is reading the comments'
- 3 Saudis risk new Muslim division with proposal to move Mohamed’s tomb
- 4 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 5 Mexican woman becomes world’s 'oldest person' at 127
Scottish independence referendum: Franz Ferdinand, Mogwai and Frightened Rabbit to play in support of Yes campaign
Jessica Chastain demands Scarlett Johansson-fronted Marvel superhero movie
Downton Abbey series 5 start date revealed: ITV drama to return in late September
Nicki Minaj suffers wardrobe malfunction during MTV VMAs performance with Ariana Grande and Jessie J
Olivia Colman and Mary Berry top Radio Times' female power list
Rotherham child sex abuse scandal: Labour Home Office to be probed over what Tony Blair's government knew - and when
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Ashya King: Parents of five-year-old boy refused permission to visit him in hospital and denied bail at Spanish court
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
Ashya King: 'Cruel NHS has not given us the treatment we need', says father of five-year-old with brain tumour who fled to Spain