United Artists at 90 Short Film Competition
The French Lieutenant's Woman
Directed by Karel Reisz
Monday 03 March 2008
The French Lieutenant's Woman (1981) concerns the love affair between a Victorian gentleman and a woman who has been jilted by a French officer, scandalizing the "polite society" of Lyme Regis. It is based on the novel of the same title by John Fowles and adapted by playwright Harold Pinter. Instead of trying to create a literal translation of the novel's alternate endings, Pinter's screenplay adopted a more cinematic approach by revealing a story within a story - showing the lives of the actors who portray Fowles' characters. The characters' story ends one way, the actors' another.
A film is being made of a story, set in 19th century England, about Charles, a biologist who's engaged to be married, but who falls in love with outcast Sarah, whose melancholy makes her leave him after a short, but passionate affair. Anna and Mike, who play the characters of Sarah and Charles, go, during the shooting of the film, through a relationship that runs parallel to that of their characters.
Harold Pinter (screenplay)
John Fowles (novel)
Meryl Streep Sarah / Anna
Jeremy Irons Charles Henry Smithson / Mike
Hilton McRae Sam
David Warner Murphy
Penelope Wilton Sonia
Leo McKern Dr. Grogan
Emily Morgan Mary
Charlotte Mitchell Mrs. Tranter
Lynsey Baxter Ernestina
Peter Vaughan Mr. Freeman
Liz Smith Mrs. Fairley
Patience Collier Mrs. Poulteney
- Meryl Streep won a Golden Globe for Best Actress.
- The film was nominated for 5 Oscars including Best Actress in a Leading Role for Meryl Streep, Best Costume Design and Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material from Another Medium.
- It was nominated for 8 Baftas including Best Actor for Jeremy Irons, Best Film, and Best Screenplay for Harold Pinter.
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 3 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 4 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 5 Isis publicly behead man in Syrian town square for 'insulting Allah' as he screams for help
Heavy metal producer's corpse to be mutilated by models as per his dying wish
The Jump 2015 line-up: Joey Essex, Phil Tufnell, Heather Mills and co take to the slopes
Game of Thrones: Grey Worm actor Jacob Anderson is all for more male nudity – as long as he can keep his clothes on
Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' goes viral 35 years later
Our fascination with the Arctic from Greek myths to Sky Atlantic's new drama Fortitude
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures