United Artists at 90 Short Film Competition
The French Lieutenant's Woman
Directed by Karel Reisz
Monday 03 March 2008
The French Lieutenant's Woman (1981) concerns the love affair between a Victorian gentleman and a woman who has been jilted by a French officer, scandalizing the "polite society" of Lyme Regis. It is based on the novel of the same title by John Fowles and adapted by playwright Harold Pinter. Instead of trying to create a literal translation of the novel's alternate endings, Pinter's screenplay adopted a more cinematic approach by revealing a story within a story - showing the lives of the actors who portray Fowles' characters. The characters' story ends one way, the actors' another.
A film is being made of a story, set in 19th century England, about Charles, a biologist who's engaged to be married, but who falls in love with outcast Sarah, whose melancholy makes her leave him after a short, but passionate affair. Anna and Mike, who play the characters of Sarah and Charles, go, during the shooting of the film, through a relationship that runs parallel to that of their characters.
Harold Pinter (screenplay)
John Fowles (novel)
Meryl Streep Sarah / Anna
Jeremy Irons Charles Henry Smithson / Mike
Hilton McRae Sam
David Warner Murphy
Penelope Wilton Sonia
Leo McKern Dr. Grogan
Emily Morgan Mary
Charlotte Mitchell Mrs. Tranter
Lynsey Baxter Ernestina
Peter Vaughan Mr. Freeman
Liz Smith Mrs. Fairley
Patience Collier Mrs. Poulteney
- Meryl Streep won a Golden Globe for Best Actress.
- The film was nominated for 5 Oscars including Best Actress in a Leading Role for Meryl Streep, Best Costume Design and Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material from Another Medium.
- It was nominated for 8 Baftas including Best Actor for Jeremy Irons, Best Film, and Best Screenplay for Harold Pinter.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Al Pacino on suffering from depression: 'It can last and it's terrifying'
- 2 Half of young women unable to ‘locate vagina’ and 65% find it difficult to say the word
- 3 Saudis risk new Muslim division with proposal to move Mohamed’s tomb
- 4 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 5 Mexican woman becomes world’s 'oldest person' at 127
Jessica Chastain demands Scarlett Johansson-fronted Marvel superhero movie
Downton Abbey series 5 start date revealed: ITV drama to return in late September
Nicki Minaj suffers wardrobe malfunction during MTV VMAs performance with Ariana Grande and Jessie J
How to read Will Self: Unlike 'talented mediocrity' George Orwell, you must approach this writer dictionary in hand
New Netflix releases: Films and TV shows coming in September 2014
Rotherham child sex abuse scandal: Labour Home Office to be probed over what Tony Blair's government knew - and when
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Ashya King: Parents of five-year-old boy refused permission to visit him in hospital and denied bail at Spanish court
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
Ashya King: 'Cruel NHS has not given us the treatment we need', says father of five-year-old with brain tumour who fled to Spain