United Artists at 90 Short Film Competition
The Return of a Man Called Horse
Directed by Irvin Kershner
Wednesday 19 March 2008
The Return of a Man Called Horse (1976) In the 1840s, trappers with government backing push the Yellow Hands Sioux off their sacred land; they retreat into an apocalyptic spirituality, passively waiting for supernatural wrath to descend on their usurpers. Meanwhile, in England, Lord John Morgan feels his spirit weaken, so he returns to America to live again with the Yellow Hand. Finding them dispirited, he invigorates them as well as himself through self-imposed torture and other rituals. Once he convinces the clan to take direct action, Horse must devise a strategy to take the trappers' fort. The clan's women and boys take on special assignments to aid the assault to regain the sacred land.
Jack DeWitt (written by)
Dorothy M. Johnson (characters)
Richard Harris... John Morgan
Gale Sondergaard... Elk Woman
Geoffrey Lewis... Zenas
William Lucking... Tom Gryce (as Bill Lucking)
Jorge Luke... Running Bull
Jorge Russek... Blacksmith
Claudio Brook... Chemin De Fer (as Claudio Brooke)
Enrique Lucero... Raven
Regino Herrera... Lame Wolf
Pedro Damián... Standing Bear (as Pedro Damian)
Humberto López... Thin Dog (as Humberto Lopez)
Alberto Mariscal... Red Cloud
Eugenia Dolores... Brown Dove
Patricia Reyes Spíndola... Gray Thorn
Ana De Sade... Moon Star
- Director Irvin Kershner has said that of all his films, this one has the best score (by Laurence Rosenthal), as it plays like a small scale opera.
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Thailand beach murders: Thai PM suggests 'attractive' female tourists cannot expect to be safe wearing bikinis
- 2 Scottish independence: Learn from Quebec's mistakes and beware of promises. Vote Yes.
- 3 'Necrophilia-obsessed' girl among double murder accused in three-way sex case
- 4 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 5 Revealed after 75 years of secrecy: 'Fifi' the glamorous WW2 special agent who tested British spies' resolve
Laurie Lee's Rosie: What is it like to inspire a writer's work and be immortalised forever on the page?
Doctor Who series 8: Time Heist pictures revealed ahead of episode 5
The Walking Dead season 5 air date, trailer and season 4 recap
Star Wars 7 leaked set photo of Adam Driver changes everything
Pharrell Williams says 'Blurred Lines' criticism is out of context
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'