TREE SEEDLINGS, mostly ash and sycamore, are sprouting prodigiously after the wet spring. Remove them before they get too deeply entrenched.
SUCCESSIONAL SOWINGS of vegetables such as beetroot, carrot, lettuce and radish never quite result in the smooth progression of crops recommended by the manuals. Even so, small amounts of lettuce and radish can go in, and longer rows of beetroot and carrot to use in autumn. Water the ground before sowing rather than after.
TOMATO AND courgette plants need plenty of water. Sink a perforated plastic pot beside each plant so its rim is level with the surface of the soil. Water tipped into the pots will go straight to the roots and less will be lost by evaporation. Bush tomatoes need no pinching out, but other varieties need looking over a couple of times a week so that side shoots can be nipped out and plants tied in to their supports.
A HIGH potash feed such as Tomorite helps produce plenty of flowers and fruit. If plants are short of water, too much potash may result in magnesium-deficiency which shows as yellowing of the leaves between the veins. If this happens, dose plants with Epsom salts.
Arts & Ents blogs
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Exclusive: Impact of immigrants on British workers ‘negligible’
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
Ukraine crisis: Russia pledges to 'retaliate against sanctions' as Ukrainian president says Crimea vote will not be recognised
The quiet diplomat: Catherine Ashton - recognised and admired in all the world’s troubled countries, yet ridiculed at home
Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 1 Three-quarters of Britons are saying it wrong - the top ten most common mispronunciations
- 2 Watch: The student election Macklemore parody that isn't completely awful - and all the others that are
- 3 Son attacks Apple after it refuses to unlock his late mother’s iPad
- 4 Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 5 First Kiss video: Filmmaker gets 20 strangers to make out on YouTube with awkward results