Wellies in the winter garden
Friday 13 January 1995
The wise viewer will probably skip the first programme with its tiresome idiot's guide to Everyday Life in a Medieval Village and concentrate on the five that follow. Tonight's introductory episode wheels out sundry geriatrics to share their wisdom: "My father allus taught me to dig with a spade. `Allus dig with a spade, my boy,' he'd say.'' You think I'm making this up, don't you?
Not to worry. Cottage Gardens fills the gap in the border left when Gay Search's More Front Gardens ended last week. The cottage garden is a lazy English ideal that proves that there is more to low-maintenance gardening than dwarf conifers and some gravel. Ms Search, in her comely lumberjack drag, is an able pro but her series proved what you had long suspected - that all it takes to become a garden designer is a supply of graph paper and a few mates in the building trade.
There’s revolution in the air, but one lady’s not for turningTV
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 All Blacks Aaron Cruden misses New Zealand flight after drinking session, has brilliant excuse
- 2 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': TV reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 Alicia Keys leaks nude photo 'to create a kinder and more peaceful world'
- 5 Clothes store Joy angers mental health campaigners with Twitter exchange on bipolar disorders
Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God