Win tickets to see NT's Merchant of Venice
Sunday 19 December 1999
The performance for which there are 10 pairs of top-priced, centre-stalls tickets to be won is on Friday 28 January. For the chance to be among the winners, answer the following questions:
1) Name one other Shakespeare play set in Venice;
2) What is the name of the Venice opera house destroyed by fire in 1996?
3) Who played Dr Aschenbach in Visconti's film Death in Venice?
Send your answers, with your name, address, and daytime phone number to: Merchant of Venice, Culture, The Independent on Sunday, One Canada Square, Canary Wharf, London E14 5DL, to arrive by Thursday 6 January. The senders of the first 10 correctly answered entries pulled from the hat after the closing date will each win a pair of tickets to the 28 January performance of The Merchant of Venice, starting at 7pm at the National's Olivier Theatre on London's South Bank. No cash alternative. The editor's decision is final. No correspondence will be entered into. Usual competition rules apply. Results to be published on Sunday 9 January.
RESULT OF LAST WEEK'S COMPETITION
Answers: 1. 1397; 2 Thomas Rosamon; 3 Commedia dell'Arte. The following readers each win a pair of tickets to Dick Whittington at Sadler's Wells: Phil Lawrance of Barnet; Maureen O'Brien of London NW5; Ann Hutchinson of London N13; Mrs Helen Power of Maldon, Essex; Lesley Burton of Gosport, Hants; and Jean Lane of London E1.
TV Jungle security stepped up after murder and 'suspicious death' near to camp
Jeff Fletcher found fame in 1990s
'At times I thought he was me'film
Review: One Direction, Fourmusic
Review: The World of Ice and Firebooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Sarah Vine criticises lesbian mother Jack Monroe: 'If she was unsure about her sexuality, she should have taken greater precautions'
- 2 Black Friday 2014: Opening times for Asda, John Lewis, PC World, GAME and Argos
- 3 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 4 Jeremy Hunt: 'I took my children to A&E because I didn't want to wait for GP appointment'
- 5 Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
Jurassic World trailer: Chris Pratt stars in full-length trailer with Bryce Dallas and Ty Simpkins
I'm A Celebrity 2014: Jungle security stepped up after murder and 'suspicious death' near to camp
Zoella: YouTube sensation Zoe Sugg's debut novel set to become overnight bestseller
Nightclubbing with Richard Young: The story behind his latest book of celebrity photographs
Naked free runner captured in breathtaking photographs above London's streets
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services