Alex Duval Smith
Alex Duval Smith is a freelance foreign correspondent based in South Africa
21 February 1999 12:02 AM
Faith, football, and fuel have for once been overshadowed, as Nigeria goes to the polls. Despite well-founded doubts, the people are ready to believe elections may get the country back on its feet
13 February 1999 12:02 AM
Wars are fought over them and fortunes made trading and smuggling them. Alex Duval Smith traces an extraordinary journey
07 February 1999 12:02 AM
Violent crime, fuelled by unemployment, is raging in South Africa - deterring the very investment which might solve the problem, writes Alex Duval Smith
28 January 1999 12:02 AM
WHEN THINGS are really bad - when the power station has been bombed, the telephone exchange has been machine-gunned and half the population has gone into exile - there are still hotel guests.
24 January 1999 12:02 AM
Alex Duval Smith meets the British diplomat who the Sierra Leoneans call Chief Komrabai Penfold. He believes that the ravaged country deserves far more of our support
This is a nation of husbands who have seen their wives executed and their children's hands chopped off
23 January 1999 12:02 AM
Alex Duval Smith, one of the few journalists in Sierra Leone since Freetown was invaded, hears the tales of horror from the victims of a senseless war
13 January 1999 12:02 AM
MYLES TIERNEY was part of that unique breed - the news agency journalist in Africa - who take all the risks for none of the fame.
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans
Revealed: Putin's army of pro-Kremlin bloggers
- 1 Tidal launch: The most pretentious lines from Alicia Keys' valedictory speech
- 2 Britain First 'acting like Ukip henchmen' by invading meeting of activists in revenge for pub protest against Nigel Farage
- 3 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 4 Tidal: Jay Z's Spotify rival streaming service criticised for making wealthy artists even richer
- 5 Brixton squat flats now costing up to £3k per month show how out of control rent is in London
Day In a Page