Alex Niven grew up in Northumberland and currently lives in East London. In 2011 his first book Folk Opposition, an essay about David Cameron, nu-folk pop music, and the recent history of Newcastle United, was published by Zero Books. His second book, a study of Oasis's Definitely Maybe, will be published by Bloomsbury in May 2014.
- 1 End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
- 2 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face death penalty
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 Dakota Johnson's 'It's only Isis' Saturday Night Live sketch sparks controversy
- 5 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory