Alice Jones is Deputy Arts Editor of The Independent.
09 March 2014 12:00 AM
The BBC presenter was chairing a discussion about women in public life
08 March 2014 12:11 AM
“Bland, dull and repetitive” and obsessed with the lives of thirtysomethings in north‑west London – that is the parlous state of new literary fiction in the UK, according to one of its top practitioners.
Female pop stars like Lily Allen are too busy selling records to come up with anything constructive or interesting to say about feminism
07 March 2014 06:22 PM
In theory everyone is equal, but the reality is somewhat different
07 March 2014 12:19 PM
Alice Jones' Arts Diary at The Independent Bath Literature Festival
07 March 2014 12:05 PM
Psychoanalyst's new book to be based on 'attachment and intimacy'
06 March 2014 09:30 PM
"Have you actually read the book? You're asking me a lot of questions about it." This was, quite obviously, no ordinary literature festival talk. How could it be, when the author in question was Count Arthur Strong?
06 March 2014 07:19 PM
Don’t mention the war, or at least don’t mention it quite so often – that was the plea from one historian.
06 March 2014 07:17 PM
Former Downing Street communications chief reveals change of heart inspired by the three novels he has written since leaving government
Independent Bath Literature Festival: Poetry royalty Frieda Hughes shares experiences as a counsellor
05 March 2014 07:01 PM
She is mid-way through training and currently works as a volunteer for Cruse Bereavement Care
05 March 2014 02:38 PM
Presenter said society's treatment of dementia patients was 'less than human'
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Lord Freud: Tory welfare minister apologises after saying disabled people are 'not worth’ the minimum wage
Lord Freud hangs on as MPs of all parties 'call for his head' over disability comments
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake report claiming street artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Drink alcohol and eat meat to improve male fertility - but cut down on coffee, studies suggest
- 4 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 5 The inventor of the Facebook 'like' button says he never made a 'dislike' button because he feared the 'unfortunate consequences'