Andreas Whittam Smith
Andreas Whittam Smith was a financial journalist until 1985 when he led the team that founded The Independent. The paper’s first editor (1986-1994), he has subsequently been the president of the British Board of Film Classification (1998-2002) and chairman of the Financial Ombudsman Service (1998-2003). He is currently First Church Estates Commissioner responsible for £5bn of the Church's investments, and chairman of the Children's Mutual.
15 October 2014 06:43 PM
For the first time in its history, the Church is starting to slightly relax its attitude to homosexuality
09 October 2014 12:03 PM
What might a build-your-own home movement eventually do to the building industry?
01 October 2014 07:00 PM
This week the Tories have proven once again that they are completely lacking in compassion
24 September 2014 06:26 PM
I've heard of few financial announcements that have astonished me on this scale
24 September 2014 06:20 PM
The moral argument does not trump all other considerations
17 September 2014 07:39 PM
If Scotland votes yes, it would be one of the UK's greatest shows of political engagement
11 September 2014 06:19 PM
As long as the right lessons are learnt
03 September 2014 06:13 PM
We might find that, after all, no ceasefire had been brokered
23 July 2014 06:43 PM
And now George Osborne has a plan to help us avoid doing that
16 July 2014 06:04 PM
Little that the Prime Minister says about the reshuffle bears scrutiny
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
Amal Alamuddin calls for the return of the Elgin Marbles from Britain: 'Injustice has persisted for too long'
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Lord Freud: Tory welfare minister apologises after saying disabled people are 'not worth’ the minimum wage
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake report claiming street artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Drink alcohol and eat meat to improve male fertility - but cut down on coffee, studies suggest
- 4 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 5 The inventor of the Facebook 'like' button says he never made a 'dislike' button because he feared the 'unfortunate consequences'