Archie Bland joined the Independent in 2008. After stints as foreign editor, Saturday editor and deputy editor, he was appointed as senior writer in 2013.
16 June 2014 05:08 PM
Even the calmest looking ducks are paddling like maniacs under the water
15 June 2014 12:00 AM
14 June 2014 12:00 AM
The MP for Walthamstow is tipped for a bright future on the Labour front benches, maybe even as leader...provided that she can take her eye off her phone for long enough
Rod Liddle gives his critics plenty of reasons to dislike him - but why does he seem to loathe himself so much?
12 June 2014 09:15 PM
08 June 2014 12:00 AM
01 June 2014 12:00 AM
Joshua Ferris’ first novel, Then We Came to the End, was narrated in the first person plural; his second, The Unnamed, centred on a character who wound up in a bitter Socratic dialogue with his own body. With all that in mind, readers who note the conventional middle-aged dentist at the heart of To Rise Again at a Decent Hour and hope for a more stable sense of character may initially feel some relief.
01 June 2014 12:00 AM
A ‘sharing economy’ means that we can have it all – but we may miss out on the thrill of the unexpected
25 May 2014 12:00 AM
17 May 2014 12:00 AM
10 May 2014 08:00 PM
Britain to take more refugees as Cameron bows to pressure after more than 250,000 back our campaign
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Make your voice heard: Sign The Independent's petition to welcome refugees
- 1 Refugee crisis: Sweden the only European country with a majority favourable towards non-EU immigration
- 2 'Heartbreaking' Syria orphan photo wasn't taken in Syria and not of orphan
- 3 Malnourished two-year-old found being breastfed by dog in Chile
- 4 Bob Geldof offers to take four refugee families into his home 'immediately' as he condemns humanitarian crisis as a ‘f**king disgrace'
- 5 YouTube video shows woman verbally abusing takeaway staff 'because they used green peppers'