Archie Bland joined the Independent in 2008. After stints as foreign editor, Saturday editor and deputy editor, he was appointed as senior writer in 2013.
16 June 2014 05:08 PM
Even the calmest looking ducks are paddling like maniacs under the water
15 June 2014 12:00 AM
14 June 2014 12:00 AM
The MP for Walthamstow is tipped for a bright future on the Labour front benches, maybe even as leader...provided that she can take her eye off her phone for long enough
Rod Liddle gives his critics plenty of reasons to dislike him - but why does he seem to loathe himself so much?
12 June 2014 09:15 PM
08 June 2014 12:00 AM
01 June 2014 12:00 AM
Joshua Ferris’ first novel, Then We Came to the End, was narrated in the first person plural; his second, The Unnamed, centred on a character who wound up in a bitter Socratic dialogue with his own body. With all that in mind, readers who note the conventional middle-aged dentist at the heart of To Rise Again at a Decent Hour and hope for a more stable sense of character may initially feel some relief.
01 June 2014 12:00 AM
A ‘sharing economy’ means that we can have it all – but we may miss out on the thrill of the unexpected
25 May 2014 12:00 AM
17 May 2014 12:00 AM
10 May 2014 08:00 PM
Nigel Farage: NHS might have to be replaced by private health insurance
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
George Galloway condemns 'racist, Islamophobic, hypocritical rag' Charlie Hebdo at freedom of speech rally
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
- 1 Paris attacks: Do not call Charlie Hebdo killers 'terrorists', BBC says
- 2 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 3 UK weather: Snow to fall in the coming week with sub-zero temperatures to last until early February
- 4 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 5 The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back