Archie Bland joined the Independent in 2008. After stints as foreign editor, Saturday editor and deputy editor, he was appointed as senior writer in 2013.
15 June 2014 12:00 AM
14 June 2014 12:00 AM
The MP for Walthamstow is tipped for a bright future on the Labour front benches, maybe even as leader...provided that she can take her eye off her phone for long enough
Rod Liddle gives his critics plenty of reasons to dislike him - but why does he seem to loathe himself so much?
12 June 2014 09:15 PM
08 June 2014 12:00 AM
01 June 2014 12:00 AM
Joshua Ferris’ first novel, Then We Came to the End, was narrated in the first person plural; his second, The Unnamed, centred on a character who wound up in a bitter Socratic dialogue with his own body. With all that in mind, readers who note the conventional middle-aged dentist at the heart of To Rise Again at a Decent Hour and hope for a more stable sense of character may initially feel some relief.
01 June 2014 12:00 AM
A ‘sharing economy’ means that we can have it all – but we may miss out on the thrill of the unexpected
25 May 2014 12:00 AM
17 May 2014 12:00 AM
10 May 2014 08:00 PM
04 May 2014 12:00 AM
Pope Francis declares evolution and Big Bang theory are real and God is not 'a magician with a magic wand'
Huge surge in Ukip support after EU funding row, according to new poll
Ukip ‘exploiting grooming scandal’ to secure party’s first police chief
Nigel Farage: 'There’s nothing wrong with white people blacking up'
Muslims, immigration and teenage pregnancy: British people are ignorant about almost everything
Maureen Lipman says 'she can't vote Labour while Ed Miliband is leader'
- 1 2015 General Election: Green party will not appear in TV debate alongside Ukip – says BBC
- 2 Canadian actor punched in face after 'Islamophobia' experiment goes wrong in wake of Ottawa shooting
- 3 Topshop at centre of row over body image as 'shocking' skinny mannequin photo goes viral
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella