Ben Chu is The Independent's Economics Editor. Previously he was the newspaper's chief leader writer.
07 August 2014 03:25 PM
07 August 2014 12:58 AM
Italy’s GDP contracted by 0.2% in the second quarter of the year
06 August 2014 01:31 PM
Hopes for Britain’s economic rebalancing took another knock today as industrial production in June undershot market expectations.
06 August 2014 01:30 AM
The scourge of “too-big-to-fail” banks in the UK is receding, according to the Moody’s credit rating agency.
05 August 2014 12:05 PM
Activity in the dominant services industry accelerated in July, according to the latest major survey of the sector, posting the quickest rate of expansion since last November.
04 August 2014 09:44 PM
Portugal has had to rescue the venerable Banco Espirito Santo. But there could be more European banking quakes to come
04 August 2014 04:53 PM
Dale only took up his financial stability post at the Bank in June
04 August 2014 02:27 PM
Former Bank of England governor Mervyn King has warned European banks are facing a “last chance” to convince financial markets they are solvent as a rescue plan was launched for Portugal’s Banco Espirito Santo.
04 August 2014 12:43 AM
Business confidence has fallen for the first time in two years, raising further questions about the momentum of the recovery.
01 August 2014 01:13 PM
Growth in new export orders fell to a four-month low
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Rochester aftermath: Sacking of Emily Thornberry will make work of Labour MPs '10 times harder'
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
- 1 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 2 Tower Bridge glass walkway 'smashed' by night-time visitor dropping bottle of beer
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'