Charles Turner is Associate Professor of Sociology at the University of Warwick. He lived in Turkey from 2010 to 2011. His research and teaching interests have also taken him to the Bavarian Academy of Sciences, Munich (1990-1991), the University of Warsaw (1992-1994) and the Jagiellonian University, Krakow (1999) . His publications include Modernity and Politics in the Work of Max Weber (Routledge 1992) and Investigating Sociological Theory (Sage 2010). His wife is Turkish, and currently participating in the demonstrations in Istanbul.
14 July 2013 05:44 PM
Instead of recognising Turkey’s European credentials, the United States continues to see Turkey as a possible ‘Islamic democracy’ and example to the Middle East
05 June 2013 02:08 PM
His belief that he can talk down to the Turkish people doesn't sit well with an empowered electorate who have their own views and want to listen critically
Disgruntled RBS worker writes hilarious open letter to Russell Brand after anti-capitalist publicity stunt leaves him hungry
Nigel Farage defends Kerry Smith 'ch***y' comment: 'If you are going for a Chinese, what do you say you’re going for?'
Nigel Farage's approval rating hits 'record low' as popularity suffers in wake of Ukip sex scandal
Pakistan school attack live: Taliban kill at least 132 children in 'horrifying' massacre
Sony hack: Angelina Jolie branded 'seriously out of her mind' in further embarrassing leaked email saga
Panic Saturday: 13 million Britons spend £1.2bn – while 13 million others across the country live in poverty unable to afford food
- 1 Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more