Chris Leadbeater is a full-time travel journalist who has written for The Independent since 2009. He specialises in the USA, South America and Europe, but has covered destinations as varied as Mozambique, New Zealand, Indonesia and Lebanon. Prior to becoming a travel journalist, he worked as a music writer and for men's magazines.
02 November 2011 12:00 AM
In the frozen north of Scandinavia, Lapland is starting to look its seasonal best. It's a spectacular region of shimmering skies, husky sleighs, Santa Claus and endless snow
26 October 2011 12:01 AM
Whether you're mourning the summer we never had – or want to escape the big chill ahead – Chris Leadbeater has the hottest spots for winter holidays
22 October 2011 12:00 AM
France's Mediterranean capital is still basking in late-season sun. With a healthy dose of culture and history too, it's a perfect autumn escape.
08 October 2011 12:00 AM
Chilean folklore has it that the country – lakes, mountains, deserts and glaciers – was created from God's leftovers. It still inspires awe today
24 September 2011 10:00 AM
30 April 2011 12:00 AM
May is the month to catch the Spanish capital at its most enticing, with a feast of cuisine and culture to enjoy.
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'does not see a problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 4 A third of employers never check job applicants' qualifications, survey finds
- 5 James Foley beheading: Fox news presenter Megyn Kelly annoyed by Ferguson update during broadcast about murdered journalist