A founder member of The Independent David Lister joined the paper in 1986 as Assistant Home Editor. He became the paper's arts correspondent in 1988 and is now Arts Editor and writes a column each Saturday. He is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts.
06 March 2015 06:55 PM
Wherever he has worked, the star conductor has changed the city’s cultural scene. Now he finally returns to Britain
27 February 2015 04:00 PM
The fall in the number of domestic visitors is staggering
20 February 2015 04:00 PM
Can whoever wins please make an interesting speech?
13 February 2015 04:00 PM
Labour’s culture spokesman is right to want diversity but wrong to blame the films
06 February 2015 04:00 PM
Too hasty a rewrite for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
30 January 2015 04:00 PM
Why did it take so long for the sums to be revealed?
23 January 2015 04:00 PM
It’s wrong to attack artists because of their accents and upbringing
23 January 2015 01:54 PM
An absorbing and strangely gripping evening
19 January 2015 12:00 AM
Why, in such a relatively small country, does a pernicious north-south divide persist?
16 January 2015 04:00 PM
Pop’s big names need to refuse to play in venues charging booking fees
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
Durham Free School: 'Creationism taught at' free school facing closure
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
Elif Shafak: Turkish author warns against rise of British nationalism
Ex-head of MI6: 'We shouldn't kid ourselves that Russia is on a path to democracy'
Most people think legal tax avoidance is just as wrong as illegal tax evasion, poll suggests
- 1 Tourist films plane's descent just metres above packed Caribbean beach
- 2 Indian woman creates 'Marriage CV' after parents put her on dating site: 'Definitely not marriage material. Won’t grow long hair, ever'
- 3 World Book Day: Boy 'excluded' from school after dressing up as Fifty Shades' Christian Grey
- 4 Bad Jews poster 'censored' on London Tube
- 5 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for