A founder member of The Independent David Lister joined the paper in 1986 as Assistant Home Editor. He became the paper's arts correspondent in 1988 and is now Arts Editor and writes a column each Saturday. He is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts.
29 August 2014 06:02 PM
The very existence of Prom 46 was a thrilling and political event
To vote no or not to vote no, that is the question... Although do celebrities really have the answer?
22 August 2014 07:59 PM
David Tennant is right — the public doesn't care about what famous people think
08 August 2014 05:18 PM
The art of leaving is a prerogative of audiences in all art forms
01 August 2014 05:54 PM
Had Holes been a television drama, it would have been pulled
25 July 2014 06:59 PM
It’s a very dangerous path that the BBC Trust is going down
18 July 2014 06:42 PM
When Mr Baron Cohen comes to your locality it is not for the purpose of helping the local economy and boosting tourism
11 July 2014 07:43 PM
A short video explaining WW1 by the BBC suggests that the cultural establishment doesn't quite understand young people
04 July 2014 05:55 PM
Finally, someone has come along who dares to say the unsayable
20 June 2014 05:29 PM
We need to rethink our attitude to West End theatres
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
- 1 Thailand beach murders: Thai PM suggests 'attractive' female tourists cannot expect to be safe wearing bikinis
- 2 Scottish independence: Learn from Quebec's mistakes and beware of promises. Vote Yes.
- 3 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 4 Revealed after 75 years of secrecy: 'Fifi' the glamorous WW2 special agent who tested British spies' resolve
- 5 Have you heard about the film Singapore has banned its people from watching? Well, you have now