A founder member of The Independent David Lister joined the paper in 1986 as Assistant Home Editor. He became the paper's arts correspondent in 1988 and is now Arts Editor and writes a column each Saturday. He is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts.
29 May 2015 04:00 PM
The new chief should introduce screens and conductor chat
24 May 2015 01:25 PM
The highlights are the surprises, those unexpected songs whose deceptive simplicity and infectious happiness immediately evoke an era
22 May 2015 04:00 PM
Celebrities need to retain their mystique and keep off social media
15 May 2015 04:00 PM
They have to learn about maths and literature, so why not music?
08 May 2015 04:00 PM
Is it wrong to apply the lyrics in the band’s new album to a famous film star?
01 May 2015 04:00 PM
Was Radio 1’s Clara Amfo too dismissive of a great star?
01 May 2015 01:10 PM
The strangest art jamboree on the planet is about to begin...
24 April 2015 04:00 PM
Andrew LLoyd Webber’s revelation about seats with lousy views is shocking
17 April 2015 04:00 PM
Young audiences are put off by expensive seats
10 April 2015 04:00 PM
The Royal Mail have missed out some true greats in their comedy stamps
EU referendum: David Cameron's rules are a 'democratic disgrace', says French-born Scottish politician set to be denied a vote
British tourists complain that impoverished boat migrants are making holidays 'awkward' in Kos
Migrants in Kos: Photos show real tragedy after Brits abroad complain of 'awkward' holidays
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
Australian man punched in the face for defending Muslim women from abuse on train
David Starkey 'tells Amal Clooney to shut up and stop over-promoting human rights'
- 1 Saudi Arabia mosque bombing: Two volunteer security guards hailed as heroes for stopping Isis suicide bomber reaching worshippers
- 2 Maisie Williams has an excellent message for one confused fan
- 3 There is something wrong but very right about this Bible illustration
- 4 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 5 Tampon tax scrapped in Canada after petition convinces conservative government