A founder member of The Independent David Lister joined the paper in 1986 as Assistant Home Editor. He became the paper's arts correspondent in 1988 and is now Arts Editor and writes a column each Saturday. He is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts.
15 June 2013 10:31 AM
Plus: Lord Rogers makes an exhibition of himself; Sky could benefit from some history revision
08 June 2013 12:01 AM
Plus: Let's not take theatre programmes as read; and who is this 'Leonardo DiCaprio' who contributes to problems with the water in Venice?
01 June 2013 12:01 AM
Plus: An interesting insight into industrial relations from Eddie Braben's obituary and is Harry Hill in bed with the devil he's lampooning?
25 May 2013 12:01 AM
Plus: The mother, father, sister and brother of all Cannes press conference questions and the first cut is the deepest, as Rod Stewart well knows
23 May 2013 12:00 AM
But in an age of austerity many of the works have a serious side. David Lister on politics and partying at the pavilions.
18 May 2013 12:01 AM
Plus: No sympathy for the devil in the booking detail for The Rolling Stones at Hyde Park, and how did ITV's Savile documentary not win a BAFTA?
11 May 2013 12:01 AM
Plus: This rehang will transform the Tate Britain and a chorus of disapproval for these Cambridge folk
10 May 2013 07:32 PM
The world-famous dancer and former star of the Royal Ballet, Sylvie Guillem, has strongly criticised Britain’s biggest dance company, and revealed her dislike of its recently departed director, in an astonishingly frank interview with The Independent.
Sylvie Guillem: The most exciting dancer in the world is back at Sadler’s Wells – and she’s got scores to settle
10 May 2013 07:00 PM
She has never been afraid to upset the dance establishment. The outspoken star lets rip on Nureyev, the Royal Ballet, and the environment
04 May 2013 12:01 AM
Plus: The curious incident of Luke Treadaway, the non-appearing Best Actor and I'm not a 'stakeholder' in this ugly use of English
- 1 Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
- 2 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 3 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 4 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 5 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t