A founder member of The Independent David Lister joined the paper in 1986 as Assistant Home Editor. He became the paper's arts correspondent in 1988 and is now Arts Editor and writes a column each Saturday. He is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts.
14 January 2014 10:52 AM
St James Theatre, London
13 January 2014 12:00 AM
11 January 2014 12:00 AM
Portrait of a trailblazing manager who took Arsenal, and football, to new heights
10 January 2014 05:12 PM
Actresses should be allowed to play more of the great classic male roles
03 January 2014 03:28 PM
Let’s make 2014 the year for audiences
20 December 2013 12:52 PM
ENO artistic director appears to have experience a fiscal Christmas epiphany
13 December 2013 03:20 PM
We should be pleased when the mask slips and backbiting begins
06 December 2013 06:05 PM
There is an argument that it could become a prize for painting
29 November 2013 06:03 PM
There’s nothing wrong with trying to make classical music more accessible to younger audiences
27 November 2013 09:25 AM
'Stunning, revelatory and downright perplexing. Like the man himself'
Nigel Farage defends Kerry Smith 'ch***y' comment: 'If you are going for a Chinese, what do you say you’re going for?'
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Rozanne Duncan: Ukip expels councillor for 'jaw-dropping' comments made in BBC TV interview
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Panic Saturday: 13 million Britons spend £1.2bn – while 13 million others across the country live in poverty unable to afford food
- 1 Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
- 2 Christmas comes early to Hong Kong, as millions of bank notes spill out onto busy street
- 3 Antonio Martin shooting: Police and protesters clash over teenager's death just five miles from Ferguson, Missouri
- 4 Northern Lights above Britain: Stunning Aurora Borealis illuminates Northumberland sky on Christmas Eve
- 5 British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh